What wine problems can be corrected by aging the wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other words, wine making is not an "exact science" (ie., in wine making 2 +2 does not always equal 4)

to further this point, i would include that what we do indeed utilizes certain principles of science BUT how we choose to get from point A to point B and use the sciences, is where this hobby truly becomes an artform in of itself....

to further this point, i would include that what we do indeed utilizes certain principles of science BUT how we choose to get from point A to point B and use the sciences, is where this hobby truly becomes an artform in of itself....

Agreed.

Major changes that I've noticed

#1 wine seems to sweeten (malo>lactic changes?)
#2 mellows (less boldness), tartness, bitterness, minor off flavors, higher acidity and higher abv will slowly become more in check
#3 depending on wine, complexity of the esters, aromas, flavors aftertastes become more noticeable (probably due to #2), BUT too long and those will fade

Those are the main things I seem to notice. Some flavors, colors and smells seem to change, but it is very wine/ yeast dependent.

The key is to DESIGN the wine in the fashion you would like to use it. You CAN make reds that are descent in a year or two. You can also make them 10 year wines. Fruit and whites are more difficult to go long term, but 6 months to 6 years is possible for peaking. Meads can go a VERY long time. Using the science of pH, TA, SO2, etc will help you to choose what works for you. The fruit itself, by nature can be manipulated to a point. We have a semi-dry blueberry wine that has similarities to a red and will probably peak in the 3-4 year range. Maybe even longer. Won't make it though. lol

Latest posts

Back