What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are having our daughter, nephew and their families for the holiday. Having football, dinner and then football. Hope the "good" Steeler team shows up tonight. I hate when they wear the white uniforms!

Scored these for Black Friday.
Putting up holiday lights in the rain.
Maybe go to Home Depot, don't know if I will have the time
ImageUploadedByWine Making1480085997.848473.jpg

Getting together with some old friends tonight. Should be lots of debauchery, followed by Mrs. Boatboy driving home. I'm cooking up some wings for the occasion: some Jerk, and the rest with an orange marmalade/sriracha glaze. Good stuff!

Off to buy a pickup truck so I can quit infringing on ffemt. Then home to filter 40 gallons of Battlefield Blush, rack the 27 gallons of Diamond and 6 gallons of pee.

Put up holiday lights in the rain.
Entertained the inlaws.
Now watching simpsons marathon and have a few beers [emoji482]!!!!!

I worked today (programming, my brain hurts). Doesn't sound like too many of you did, I mean for pay. Guess I need to get out of the printing industry and get a real job at the State. Wonder how good the benefits are?

Well I got called out on my holiday. I had to drive 2 hours one way to a prison in middle GA to repair a perimeter security issue. I got home after lunch and my boys and I raked pine straw and spread around our shrubbery. I guess it was a good workout after yesterday's gluttony.

I've spent most of the day doing things around the house, since my wife and oldest son had to work. This morning I made a batch of cinnamon bread and some corn bread, cleaned up the fridge, then started cleaning up some bottles and worked on three loads of laundry. After lunch I started my three month racking of wines, now that I have an AIO. I usually rack a wine, clean the carboy that it was in, and rack it back. After making dinner tonight, I decided to rack one last carboy. It was a 100% red raspberry batch from frozen fruit I got from a friend of mine who was moving to the Philly area. It was about 20 lbs of raspberries, and I got 3 gallons of wine, which has been aging since this Spring. I went to clean up the carboy, it's a better bottle type, so usually its a rinse and some Star San swirled around, then a dump and re-rack the wine (using gravity since it's a plastic carboy). When I looked at the sides of the carboy after rinsing, I noticed a really neat pattern on the sides. I didn't remember this when I first purchased the carboy, so I looked a bit closer (with a loop). Here there was an incredibly perfect pattern of acid crystals (maybe citric?) all up the sides of the carboy. I added some Oxi-Clean and filled with water. The solution turned an olive green, which I think happens when oxiclean mixes with a mild acid. Needless to say I'm letting the carboy soak a while before re-racking that wine. Guess I need to check the TA on that one since it is probably through the roof, even for a raspberry wine.

Last edited:
Finally feeling human again today after almost a week of dealing with that cold. The whole house has had it and we've been laid up since Thanksgiving. Friday plans ended up being rescheduled (we weren't the only sick ones) and with the exception of a quick run to Lowe's and the grocery store yesterday, I've been a complete loaf for three days. Woke up breathing freely and actually having some energy this morning. So I racked the LR 3 Country Cab and removed the foliage from the bottle tree (aka: boxed up clean bottles). After lunch, I'll attempt to tackle the outdoor Christmas decorating.

Edit: Oh yeah, re did Chromatography on the 4 fall and 4 spring wines as well. Been seeing bubbles in most of them and am optimistic.

Last edited:
stuck in North Dallas for 3 days. Any Local Dallas winemakers want to host a wayward winemaker and let him drink your wine???

Dallas is my home, but I've been a Southern Connecticut / NYC Metro area transplant for the last 11 almost 12 years now. I would have been happy too.

well quite by chance, ive been experimenting with blueberry flavour im in the uk btw so they are quite scarce, so, anyway, I was sat in my neighbours, the other month, who just happened to have an empty bowl full of pistachio nut shells, I had been experimenting with blueberry flavour as an f pack kinda flavour, but the dryness detracted from the overall effect, as, there was no natural sweetness, so, kinda experimentally I added 3 halves of pistachio nut shells per gallon as my neighbour gave me a bowl full of them, so in experimental fashion I added 6 blue berries and 3 halves of pistachio nut shells per gallon, to a random red coloured fruit wine, I had made, which tbh was a bit naff and then let it steep, well a few months later, it now is worth drinking, the nut shells seem to impart either slow fermenting or unfermentable sugars, which add a natural sweetness to coincide with the blueberry`s natural flavour, replacing its natural sweetness, overall at this moment in time, it seems to have worked well, although I am sloshed from drinking a very enjoyable drink, I would rank this a 9 on 10 and quite well balanced as a blueberry kinda wine flavoured drink, which at this moment in time has retained a natural sweetness and a woody taste from the nut shells, which has gradually improved over several months of steeping and aging. I deem this worthy of further experimentation, as the over all effect is very noteworthy.

Last edited:
My wife was kind enough to make another run to Erie today for some light concord juice so that we can make our Battlefield Blush. She drove the new truck and didn't wreck it, so I guess that's a win in my book. Now if my son and wife can unload the 3 fifteen gallon carboys of wine without losing any juice, it will be a good day.....

Any Hawaiian shirts with grapes?

Anyone know of a store that sells Hawaiian shirts with grapes on them? I need to find some unique Christmas presents...

Latest posts

Back