What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caymus Smaymus its all about the Quilceda Creek! LOL

Just saw in Wine Spectator in the list of "Big Reds for Under $20" a couple that are interesting. First was the Turley Zinfandel California Juvenile, which I already have quite a few of, the second I just ordered, was the Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley Grand Estates 2014, found the latter for under $7 on the web, by chance tried the CV Cab?

I've been impressed with both producers for a long time. Turley zins are my go-to zins. And I've always been a fan of all the Columbia Crest Grand Estate wines for the QPR. I haven't tied this vintage of the cab yet. Do let us know how it is.

I've been impressed with both producers for a long time. Turley zins are my go-to zins. And I've always been a fan of all the Columbia Crest Grand Estate wines for the QPR. I haven't tied this vintage of the cab yet. Do let us know how it is.

Turley zins are definitely on the top of my list, I got some real killers in this years allocation, everything's in the RP 92+range, with a couple at 96 and 97, I'm looking forward to drinking them in a few years.

The CC's got a pretty nice price point, I was kinda hoping someone had tried it before I ordered a case or two for the cellar.................

Just finished making a large batch of Buffalo Chicken Dip for a work pot-luck tomorrow. All mixed up and ready. All I have to do is put it in the crock pot and plug it in once I'm in my office.

Tried out my used, but new to me, SC-100 tonight on two wines. Both were lower than expected, but within the 'sanity check' range. I knew the Chilean Syrah was very, very low and I'd added 1/4 tsp to it about 10 days ago. It came in at 37ppm. IIRC, that dose would equal 50ppm. But the ten-ish days, plus the fact that some sulfite gets 'absorbed' right away has me thinking that the meter is working properly. I was a little intimidated with the written instructions, but two YouTube videos had me measuring and getting results pretty quickly. I had to force myself to NOT measure every carboy/barrel in the basement. In time...

Last edited:
Laying low for now. Everything is covered in ice. Not good for the last weekend before Christmas. It is supposed to warm up this afternoon though.

Gotta go top up the barrels. Again. Those angels get very thirsty when the heat is on.

Tasted and topped up a bit my 2015 Chilean Carmenere and my 2016 CA Syrah, both aging in carboys. The Syrah was as expected, very very young but promising. The Carmenere is just ok, not alot of flavor at 10 months in the carboy. Added more oak to both, med. + french oak cubes. Will taste again early February when time to rack again.
Heading out to dinner with my wife and some friends this evening, first kid free evening in awhile.

Last edited:
At the property for a long weekend hunt. Friday morning it was 27F, 44F in the afternoon. 60F this morning, winds 25 from the south, 76F right now, killed a huge water moccasin. 100% chance of rain at midnight, 29 degrees at daybreak on Sunday. Riding out the weather roller coaster.

Waiting for the ice to melt, and this afternoon we will head to a friend's house to make cookies with two other families.

What's the best wine to go with cookies? My wife is drinking a spiced wine that I can smell from 8 feet away. We picked it up at the Gettysburg wine festival a year and a half ago only to find it cheaper at our local PA State Store. Smells like it might go with cookies...

Once my wife cleared the kitchen, I've been bustin' butt cleaning bottles and racking batches. Still 29*F, so not melting up here yet. I had to grab the trash can as I slid by or I'd have gone down the driveway or bounced off a parked car. Could be worse, I might have to shovel!

Watching my alma mater (UTSA) play on ESPN in their first ever bowl appearance. Young team only in existence for 6 years. Winds are howling since that front blew through last night.

maxresdefault.jpg

John, I know you aren't going to waste that snake! Crock pot, or would sous vide be more appropriate?

Pam in cinti

John, I know you aren't going to waste that snake! Crock pot, or would sous vide be more appropriate?

Pam in cinti

I've tasted rattlesnake, and it was actually fairly tasty, but I've got two boneless chickens, stuffed with crawfish stuffing, slow smoking on the Primo. Somehow, water moccasin just doesn't sound enticing........

What's the best wine to go with cookies? My wife is drinking a spiced wine that I can smell from 8 feet away. We picked it up at the Gettysburg wine festival a year and a half ago only to find it cheaper at our local PA State Store. Smells like it might go with cookies...

Once my wife cleared the kitchen, I've been bustin' butt cleaning bottles and racking batches. Still 29*F, so not melting up here yet. I had to grab the trash can as I slid by or I'd have gone down the driveway or bounced off a parked car. Could be worse, I might have to shovel!

We ended up drinking holiday beer rather than wine.

Latest posts

Back