What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
75º and sunny here today. I FINALLY got to go outside and do some garden work. I planted 4 blackberry vines and 2 ea red and green table grape vines. Out of the 8 holes I dug in a row about 75 yards long, 2 of the them had Gopher tunnels in them. They are smarter than my traps and are winning the war.
I'm trying to get Bill Murray down here to help, but he just won't pick up the phone. Grrrr.

Very cool Carolyn. Glad to meet another horse lover. My wife is jumper rider sine she was a kid and was the adult amateur champion of Alabama in 2007 and now is considered a professional rider. We started breeding in 2001 and we have a quite a few babies doing very well in the Dressage world ( intact one of our babies is now the 3 yo USDF champion Cronos de Medi ) which is weird because we mainly breed Selle Francais jumpers but have an SF mare which is approved Holsteiner, RPSI and Oldenburg which makes amazing dressage babies. That mare's sire is First Class and she has babies with a trot that will make you cry when she them move. We have quite a few breeder friends and stallion owner friends from Canada. Great folks with a true love of breeding.

Out of the 8 holes I dug in a row about 75 yards long, 2 of the them had Gopher tunnels in them. They are smarter than my traps and are winning the war.
I'm trying to get Bill Murray down here to help, but he just won't pick up the phone. Grrrr.

Sounds like you need a lawn chair, a .22 and an afternoon to bask in the sun. If you have a 22-250 you could set up 300+ yards away and they will be none the wiser till lead starts flying

Took my son and dog out on the deck, which has 2 ft of snow. I climbed up 20 ft up to my roof to chisel ice and cure an ice damn.
The neighbor took sympathy and brought over some stone brewery IPA

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Lori it sounds like you gotta go to the electric shock treatment...lol
an old wind up phone couple pieces of copper and some wire....
they hate it.;

Made a starter using a tip learned at the Chilean juice class last week and pitched the yeast into the Stueben. The Isabella continues to percolate. It was finally warm enough to go to the garage and wash bottles, a bucket and a carboy. I need to filter the Seyval to backsweeten slightly in order to bottle next weekend.

Very cool Carolyn. Glad to meet another horse lover. My wife is jumper rider sine she was a kid and was the adult amateur champion of Alabama in 2007 and now is considered a professional rider. We started breeding in 2001 and we have a quite a few babies doing very well in the Dressage world ( intact one of our babies is now the 3 yo USDF champion Cronos de Medi ) which is weird because we mainly breed Selle Francais jumpers but have an SF mare which is approved Holsteiner, RPSI and Oldenburg which makes amazing dressage babies. That mare's sire is First Class and she has babies with a trot that will make you cry when she them move. We have quite a few breeder friends and stallion owner friends from Canada. Great folks with a true love of breeding.

That's wonderful! I rode the hunters on the trillium and A circuit while doing a bit of dressage. I really got obsessed with the dressage and I have just trained to 2nd level and took a break for a few years from training. I am preparing to start training again this spring. Our farm doesn't have an indoor arena yet, it makes training in winter difficult up here in the snow.

I have lately been looking more at Andalusians for dressage prospects but I am really a sucker for the WBs still! So beautiful lol ack all horses are beautiful! I too have loved and own them since I was 7 years old. :D

Love that store! Too bad the closest one is 500 miles away North or West! :( (Denver or Phoenix)

LOL I love to hate that store! Actually I go about once every 2-3 years and thats enough for me. There is one about 150 miles south of me in Pittsburgh. I have to admit they really do have it together. Instructions are all pictures to avoid language barriers and ready made cardboard roof racks to help you get your purchase home. The foot path they have going through the store is an absolute necessity in order to see everything.

Well, I made it back safely, although my credit card has been coughing up blood. :mny I had a double order of Swedish meatballs, and also discovered that they sell beer (and some is even good beer!) at the restaurant. Bought tons and tons of stuff, mostly for my wife's gf. Then we spent the evening assembling those tons and tons of stuff. After coming home, I am enjoying my "Builder's cocktail": two Aleve, washed down by slugging copious amounts of red wine.

Grrrrr the inlaws have invaded my house and refuse to leave. I'm starting to think a small fire is in order to smoke them out. I'm also willing to bet they hit me up for wine before they leave. I'm starting to think a bottle or two is a fair price for there exodus

I totally sympathize, but it won't be too long before you are hoping that grampa and grandma will take your new bundle o' joy so you can have a night to yourselves!

We received some homemade Apple Pie Moonshine, it's DELICIOUS! Gonna snuggle up with my hubby, have a few drinkies, stay warm, and watch tv.

I totally sympathize, but it won't be too long before you are hoping that grampa and grandma will take your new bundle o' joy so you can have a night to yourselves!

That's what my parents/brother/sister are for. They live one road away lol. But my wife has a similar opinion about my mother so it's a 2 way street. Everything in small doses makes for a happy life.

Tonight however I'm dealing with mr fussy pants. He finally fell asleep so I'm not moving. Thankfully there is a good curling match going on. Canada vs. the states.

And in other news my skittles brew is truly stuck. I have added yeast energizer and pinched a new pack of ec1118 and it's still sitting at 1.012. Driving me up a wall

Plowboy, you should try yeast nutrient instead of energizer. I made a skittles jellybean wine once and it stuck at 1.000. Since it was a one gallon batch, I bottled and kept the bottles in the frig.

I tried that first. I always start with a split feeding of nutrient. One 1/2 at the start then the other 1/2 at the half way point. Then if it slows down at the end I'll add a 1/4 tsp or two till it finishes. Didn't work this time.

Microbiological Techniques Workshop

I'll be headed down to Penn State tomorrow for a one day workshop on Tuesday for a biology class on wine. This one-day workshop will introduce attendees to the microorganisms that are involved through wine processing. Techniques on how to identify the presence of these microorganisms and control them in the winery will be discussed. I wish Ibglowin or GreginND were sitting next to me to explain whats going on (two of our resident scientists).

tilled up one third of my garden....posted pics for running wolf in garden post. cooking lasagna later, pics posted when it comes out of the oven.
washing clothes, (no pic)...bought parts to make a better fruit crusher, pics to follow, when its complete, and if i can find a piece of 3/4 x 24 inch pipe, threaded all the way.

Curiosity has gotten to me yet again. The spring time itch is setting in and I'm thinking about trying a batch of maple syrup wine. I've already started working on a deal with one of my friends for sap. Not 100% sure if ill make it out of sap or syrup but I can figure that out on the fly.

Hopefully the darn skittles brew is out of primary by then.

Latest posts

Back