What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the same boat. I plan on running 6 pounds of gala and 6 pounds of honey crisp through the apple corer and then the blender. Odds are ill have to cheat with a couple gallons of water and then add sugar to get the sg up. Then ginger and cinnamon sticks just for the fun of it. I have yet to deviate from the champagne yeast but I'm only 2 from scratch batches into the hobby so anything I say is just a guess. It seems to work well in the not so perfect chemistry of my experiments.

I'm still waiting to see if the watermelon comes around. It's in limbo right now, pretty sure it's just a tad to acidic. So time will tell

Grass cut, the 15 gallon carboys sanitized for picking up juice on Saturday and was able to go get another 30 pounds of pears for the cinnamon pear wine.

My sister in law also sent me a Facebook post about how she made a chicken penne pasta with my Skeeter Pee. I guess it's not just for drinking anymore...

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I plan on running 6 pounds of gala and 6 pounds of honey crisp through the apple corer and then the blender. Odds are ill have to cheat with a couple gallons of water and then add sugar to get the sg up. Then ginger and cinnamon sticks just for the fun of it. I have yet to deviate from the champagne yeast but I'm only 2 from scratch batches into the hobby so anything I say is just a guess. It seems to work well in the not so perfect chemistry of my experiments.

I'm still waiting to see if the watermelon comes around. It's in limbo right now, pretty sure it's just a tad to acidic. So time will tell

Honey Crisp are my favorite. But at nearly $4 a pound in the groceries here, it's not going to happen unless I get a press to squeeze every little droplet out.
I think the Gala and the honey crisp will work very good to compliment each other. Be sure to update us on the progress on that.

I got a good deal. The "they fell off the truck" deal. As a farmer I've got friends that grow just about anything so a couple bottles can grease the wheels quite well. That's 1/2 the reason I got into the hobby. The other 1/2 was as a possible business venture. My county is under quite the wine boom but nobody brews country wine. If the tobacco thing falls apart it never hurts to have a fall back.

If this apple batch turns out I might toss a thread up to how I went about it. About the only thing that didn't get put to use where the cores. I just don't have have the time to deal with it. I always try and keep the best notes, might have to snap a couple pics of the process. I'm still a noob but I seem to be catching on quickly.

Also, the gallon strainer bags are a real pain in the butt. I made them work because I could not find the 5 gal ones. 3 different paint stores where out of stock. Needless to say ill be stocking up ASAP

After work today I'm planning to start washing buckets for the Saturday juice run to Northeast Pa. I'm also going to clean off the bench and start to organize the cellar to make room.

Stueben has been backsweetened and ready to bottle. we are ready for our trip to Erie.

If your going to Erie send a wave across the lake. I might be duck hunting on the other side.

I pinched yeast for the apple last night. No activity to speak of this morning but I'm willing to bet by tonight there will be a nice layer of foam. The juice it's self had a sg of 1.04ish. After I added water and sugar I got it up to 1.086. I have high hopes for this batch.

I'm also getting ready for winter. Harvest is done and I don't think ill be irrigating again this year.

image-2602667219.jpg

image-903194174.jpg

What a nice Saturday spent driving with my wife to Erie to meet up with ffemt128 and his family. We scored 12 gallons of Diamond, 12 gallons of Fredonia, 10 gallons of Concord and 5 gallons of Niagara. The Niagara has the sugar added and yeast pitched. The concord will have the sugar added tonight. We need to stop at the LHBS for more yeast.

We backsweetened and bottled the Stueben from PIWC last year. WE will be bottling more also to free up some carboys.

Got my first grapes and had them crushed up at Harford Vineyard. Another new adventure in winemaking begins...

What a nice Saturday spent driving with my wife to Erie to meet up with ffemt128 and his family. We scored 12 gallons of Diamond, 12 gallons of Fredonia, 10 gallons of Concord and 5 gallons of Niagara. The Niagara has the sugar added and yeast pitched. The concord will have the sugar added tonight. We need to stop at the LHBS for more yeast.

We backsweetened and bottled the Stueben from PIWC last year. WE will be bottling more also to free up some carboys.

We enjoyed the day with you and your lovely wife. Andrea had a ball doing Math problems. Looking forward to another trip in October. Make sure you call and pre-order your catawba and vidal. I'll pick up and start fermentation.

Hokapsig said:

From what I have heard through the grapevine, Niagara had one of the best grape years. Everything fell into place and production has never been better. They are expecting this years vintage to be the best in recent years. I'm sure yours will turn out quite delectable.

Just had a sample of my spring strawberry. It's getting better and better as the months go by. Ill have to pull a couple bottles out in oct. a couple for me and one for the county fair. I'm not holding my breath for a win, place or show but stranger things have happened. Can't win the grand prize of 15 bucks if you don't enter.

Fredonia, Diamond, Concord and Niagara all brought to 1.070 to 1.080 (so much for that 25 pound bag of sugar) and yeast pitched. Taking Friday off to go see the doctor (oh my aching rotator cuff), get the cars Jiffy Lubed, trim the bushes and go and pick up the girl from college (might stop off and buy a case of Fredonia on the way up).

Did a tour de' Texas today. I am a CASA volunteer (child advocate or GAL depending on where you live) and had to visit a couple of the kids in Austin and San Antonio. On my travels I found a GREAT wine and brew supply shop in San Antonio called Home Brew Party. The lady was fabulous and the inventory... well I was a kid in a candy store. I highly recommend this place for the central Texas winos.

As a native who escaped as goes back home several times a year I always like to look around and see LHBS in and around SA. I will check them out next time around. I don't think they will be selling very many Kits though with those prices! :<

Maybe that includes shipping? I didn't look at the Eclipse. Only the Vinters Reserve which was $80. in the store and thats about what I paid online through Ebay.

Hmmmm, I might have to try my hand at chilli. I have a freezer full of deer hamburger I can't get through fast enough. My wife refuses to eat any wild game other than turkey and goose. If I did up a big batch of chill, froze it in personal sized portions I could thaw it over night and then heat it up on the tractors motor and have a nice hot lunch.

Thanks for the idea

Latest posts

Back