What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting at home and enjoying a 2012 Carmenere. This wine was made from a bucket of Chilean juice from Luva Bella. It is very complex! I cannot describe it other than Damn, this stuff is good!

I opened up a bottle of floandgary's 2013 Carmenere and that was just awesome I can only imagine what it will taste after a year.

Last edited:
anyone have a remedy to get rid of those d**m fruit flies ?they seem to really like being around my blueberry wine, i even put a fan on while i was racking,to blow them away,unfortunately it doesn't kill them!

The quickest and most successful method is to attack with a shop vac. I haven't had to resort to this in a few years but it's always standing at attention ready to serve!

Trying to decide if I should add pectic enzyme to my plum wine even though I'm 4 days into primary fermentation. Will it still extract juice or do I just add it when I rack to secondary for clearing. Hmmmmm... Picking mountain of peppers, tomatoes, squash, and melons for the farmers market, too. Good day today.

Did my fall planting today. 4 varieties of tomato plants, cabbage, green beans, Habernero, yellow crookneck squash, white onions and red potatoes. Now I'm too pooped to start my Sangiovese that arrived while I was working in the garden. Oh well,, tomorrow is another day.

Fall planting? That's crazy talk. The ground will soon be covered in a think blanket of snow. There is the real risk of frost tonight around here. Fingers crossed it dose not, I've still got a bit of harvest before it can freeze.

Then again, it's always sunny in the south

Fall planting? That's crazy talk. The ground will soon be covered in a think blanket of snow. There is the real risk of frost tonight around here. Fingers crossed it dose not, I've still got a bit of harvest before it can freeze.

Then again, it's always sunny in the south

FROST? Now that's crazy talk. Especially in September. I sure hope you get all your harvesting done soon. It would make me sick to see veggies go to waste.
I may not get frost, but we have a tropical storm brewing that could effect us pretty badly. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us.

I have seen frost hit as early as August. We actually had to re plant about 10 acres of tobacco this may because it was burnt by frost. This year has not been the best to us. The weather was all over the map and it made for one less than stellar crop. But that's farming, some years are better than others.

just got back from doing the Grouse Grind.It was one of those things on my bucket list I just wanted to do.Now that it's done I don't ever have to do it again! lol

2 year celebration at work, which let us get out at 3:30. I have to start bottling 2 batches to free up some carboys. The 2 pails of thompson seedless are slowing down in thier fermenting and the crab apple needs put into secondary.

Going to try and rack the lime skeeter pee, it was ready but I wanted a touch more lime so I clouded it back up. Its clear now. Wannt to rack that and bottle it over the weekend. I'm also shooting for getting the batch of Noble Muscadine bottled today. If I can get both of these things accomplished, I'll have one free bench for fall juices.

My neighbor was nice enough to get me 12 milk crates, I should have enough of those for all the carboys that are on the floor now.

Between yesterday and today I was able to get both the Lime Pee and Noble Muscadine bottled. I need to affix labels to the Noble which I may do tonight. I'm in no real hurry for that. I have 4 1/2 cases of Noble, 16 bottles of Lime Pee and 27 bottles of Bronze Muscadine that I have no shelf room for. Need to clear some room and get a rack built.

I guess I have a good predicament....it could be the other way around, shelves empty and no wine to put on them.

Thinking about starting my spiced apple wine today. I've got all the stuff I need but time is always hard to come by. Still haven't decided if I want to back sweeten it into a spiced caramel apple wine. I might just split the batch and make both. Seems like a good plan to me.

Well that's if I don't muck things up before I get to that point.

I started my first ever batch of apple cider. I am a beginner so I don't have a fancy press which kind of limited me and I was only planning on coming out with a gallon in the end.
I used my food processor to chop 6 lbs of Granny smiths. Then I put them in a strainer bag and squeezed them as good as I could. Only yielded 3 cups of juice. I added 2 1/2L of Motts unsweented juice and 4- 10oz bottles of Martinelli's apple juice. One pound of a new sugar I found at Walmart. A dark sugar called Demerara Sugar by Florida Crystals. It tasted like caramel when made into simple syrup. Nummy! That should be really good. I topped it all of with the bag of chopped apples and will pitch the yeast tomorrow.
The recipe calls for Champagne yeast but I'm thinking of using EC-118. Any thoughts on this?

Latest posts

Back