What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I know where you mean. We're going to some place called Lydia's tonite. Ever hear of it?

I realize a little late, but Lydias is an itialian restaurant in the strip district. Good food but pricy. I had a fish dish last time I was there that was out of this world. Hope you stopped at wigle whiskey while in the strip.

When till results be available tomorrow?

The Spag factory wouldn't honor an outdated certificate (wonder why), so we went to DeNunzio's for a nice dinner. Came home to watch the Pens beat the Habs and we are currently enjoying a nice Cranberry Concord from Wylie Winery. Two thumbs up, Julie!!!

Lidias was great. After numerous bottles of good wine and champagne I had a great shank of pork. We had folks from Cleveland and North Carolina who were also judges along with a few of the directors from Pittsburgh.

Yesterday I managed to rack 30 gallons of wine, went to a children bday party, then installed the tile in my son's bathroom.

Today is a day for me. Off the the AWS Conference this am. Looking forward to it.

Went to Lidia's in KC MO a few years back on a visit out to the inlaws one time. Had a fantastic meal. Too bad you were all tasted out on wine as they had a pretty nice wine list IIRC. They make a fantastic chicken scallopine with lemon caper sauce! :hug

Lidias was great. After numerous bottles of good wine and champagne I had a great shank of pork. We had folks from Cleveland and North Carolina who were also judges along with a few of the directors from Pittsburgh.

I painted the cellar steps yesterday, not totally unrelated to wine making..they do lead to my wine cellar.

heading off to a week in NH for some training. The start of a LOOOOONNNNGGGG 3 weeks....

This has been a great day attending many seminars at the Easter Winery Exposition and Hanging out with Rich from Vinmetrica in our booth while he show cases the Pro 300 model.

002.jpg

003.jpg

grapeman said:
Not wine related, but going in today to the cancer center for my weekly/10 days appointment. Hopefully we will soon do a scan and see if we have the lymphomas shrinking yet. Then sometime next week the third cycle of chemo. We may discuss getting a port put in for easier access for chemo and blood tests. Right now I look like a drug addict with pokes and bruises all over me (of course I may be addicted to the oxycodone by now). Maybe some day wine will taste good to me again and I can have the occasional glass of wine.

Rich, a close friend of mine had three relapses, but now is clear of the cancer. Another had to go back for a second time. I don't say this to discourage you, but to tell you that no matter what- keep the faith. I cried with both and shared their dispair, but both of them are ok now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did bench trials for the first time tonight. Pretty enlightening, actually. It's amazing what very minor tweaks can do to a wine.

Did bench trials for the first time tonight. Pretty enlightening, actually. It's amazing what very minor tweaks can do to a wine.

What kind of bench trials? How were you enlightened? Inquiring minds want to know.

Need to head to the cellar tonight and figure out what I have in the way of bottles. Heading over to Kelman bottles tomorrow to pick up probably 40 cases of bottles.

What kind of bench trials? How were you enlightened? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have a CC Sterling Syrah that I started way back in August. I added dried cherries, dried blueberries and banana to the primary and it had a pretty awful funk for some time. It's come around but, like many of the kits I've done, is terribly flat. I've added Tancor Grand Cru and gave it 2.5oz of med French cubes for 60 days, and still am not happy. So last night, I pulled off four (small) glasses worth and went to work. The first was un-modified, second was with a pinch of acid blend, third had a pinch of sugar, and fourth had a pinch of sugar and I also dropped in a med+ oak cube and two tellicherry peppercorns.

#1 and 2 I ruled out right away. #3 and 4 were interesting, but still lacking a bit. I let them sit a little longer so that #4 could get some more of the pepper and oak going. I also added a touch more sugar to both. In the end, I liked both, but am going to go with the additional oak, and some peppercorns. I had low expectations on this kit, but I've still been disappointed. I was really surprised what the sugar did to it.

Just did my taxes and got the biggest return of my life! Looks like I can finally buy a nice tiller and still put some away in savings. Made my year after paying in for the last three years while I was a contractor.

I'm trying to decide on a kit to buy and where to buy it from. I usually get my stuff from Midwest supplies but I want to try the cellar craft showcase series and they don't carry it. I'd like to try the red mountain cab. There seems to be a lot if variability in kit price and shipping price from place to place.

Spent this morning before work sqeezing my bags! :p

Explanation: I started three batches of wine yesterday. Two Dragon Blood variations; #1 was the standard DB recipe with rasins and bananas added (I call it Dragon Blood Especial!). #2 was the same, but with some medium French oak added. The third batch is a nice oaked blackberry---a current favorate of mine. I can't wait to see how the oak effects the flavor and body. The fruits are all in mesh bags which I love to squeeze daily.

Spent this morning before work sqeezing my bags! :p

Explanation: I started three batches of wine yesterday. Two Dragon Blood variations; #1 was the standard DB recipe with rasins and bananas added (I call it Dragon Blood Especial!). #2 was the same, but with some medium French oak added. The third batch is a nice oaked blackberry---a current favorate of mine. I can't wait to see how the oak effects the flavor and body. The fruits are all in mesh bags which I love to squeeze daily.

Dave, once you start to drink the blackberry oaked you can't go back. One year old oaked blackberry is just unbelievable.

Latest posts

Back