What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started out a good day, went to my son's and installed the trim in his bathroom. Came home and got a text from one of my co-workers informing me that my good friend's wife lost her battle with cancer yesterday. RIP Sharon.

Went to get the girl from visiting her friend at St. Vincent college. Stopped at a local winery to get a taste and purchase a semi-sweet red (doesn't anyone cold stabilize anymore???) and checked out the tasting room. I'll have to meet up with Doug to get rid of some demi's as the wife is fussing about me taking over the basement. Work in OH tomorrow....

Bottled 10 gallons of Elderberry, 5 oaked, 5 un-oaked. Made labels for the Oaked. Getting ready to back sweeten 6 gallons of Skeeter Pee so that I can bottle them later this evening or tomorrow. Have to go to a Bday party for my daughter's friend. Maybe I'll take them a bottle of pee or elderberry.

Bottled 10 gallons of Elderberry, 5 oaked, 5 un-oaked. Made labels for the Oaked. Getting ready to back sweeten 6 gallons of Skeeter Pee so that I can bottle them later this evening or tomorrow. Have to go to a Bday party for my daughter's friend. Maybe I'll take them a bottle of pee or elderberry.

LOL, Remember Doug, a bottle not a whole case!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Screwing with 2 batches of skeeter pee. Still trying to get it to ferment.

Note: Threatening to flush the skeeter pee does not force it to ferment faster.

Screwing with 2 batches of skeeter pee. Still trying to get it to ferment.

Note: Threatening to flush the skeeter pee does not force it to ferment faster.

How long have you been messing with this? I have had skeeter pee take 5 days before it started, almost thru it out but glad I didn't

ffemt128 - Sorry to hear about your co-workers wife.

Thanks, will be going to the viewing tomorrow and taking off work on Wednesday for the funeral.

Today, I'm heading to the cellar to back sweeten some juices purchased in the fall, possibly bottle 6 gallons of Skeeter Pee and then there is a good likely hood we'll be heading to Millerburg, OH to look at a Maltese. My wife has been wanting one of them for years an I was refusing a drop-kick dog. Well, I've conceeded and we think it's time the Husky had a playmate. Hopefully it's not dinner. Noting like a 5 hour round trip drive to finish out a Sunday.

Last edited:
Thanks, will be going to the viewing tomorrow and taking off work on Wednesday for the funeral.

Today, I'm heading to the cellar to back sweeten some juices purchased in the fall, possibly bottle 6 gallons of Skeeter Pee and then there is a good likely hood we'll be heading to Millerburg, OH to look at a Maltese. My wife has been wanting one of them for years an I was refusing a drop-kick dog. Well, I've conceeded and we think it's time the Husky had a playmate. Hopefully it's not dinner. Noting like a 5 hour round trip drive to finish out a Sunday.

LOL, Doug, you are going to love this dog. Mike was never a big fan of small dogs but changed his mine when Megan and gotten Molly. And Ohio must have a lot of dogs over there, that is where we go both of ours.

LOL, Doug, you are going to love this dog. Mike was never a big fan of small dogs but changed his mine when Megan and gotten Molly. And Ohio must have a lot of dogs over there, that is where we go both of ours.

I agree Julie, I love our small dogs. Doug is that an Amish breeder you're going to? I know there are a number of them over there.

Not sure if it's an Amish Breeder or not. We looked in PA and there aren't many Maltese available. In Ohio there were a bunch of listings. This guy has one female left and that is what we wanted was a female. Most of the others were either males, out of our price range or not born yet. I'll call the guy in a little bit and get address etc.

Good Luck and have fun Doug. Take some pictures.

Have a safe trip and yes post some pics

Well the guy wasn't available today to meet us. There is another person in New Castle. I called him today. He has 5 females but he is out of town til thursday and the puppies are only 7 weeks old now. Going to try and make it up there this coming weekend. Will post pics if we decide to get one.

Had a productive day in the cellar. Got the labels on the 4 cases of Elderberry, mixed up a batch of 50% Niagra, 25% Concord and 25% Fredonia and back sweetened to 1.012. Very good. Will bottle that this week. Back sweetened my Seyval Blanc to 1.000 and bottled. Bottled 32 bottles of Skeeter Pee. All in all a good weekend in the cellar. Added 107 bottles of wine to the shelves. Will bottle the Blend Wednesday after the funeral. May try to back sweeten some Catawba and get it bottled as well that day.

Came home from work, put the labels on the Seyval Blanc that was bottled Sunday. Backsweetened 5 gallons of the Catawba from Presque Isle wine to 1.016. Still very tart even after cold stabilizing for 3 weeks at 34 -36 degrees. May add a touch more sugar tomorrow then bottle after the the funeral. I'm also going to try to get the tri-blend bottled tomorrow as well.

I am enrolled in the course work for the Ohio Master Gardener Certification program and had my next to last class today...one more to go, then the final exam, 50 hours of community service in gardening plus 20 hours of continuing education and then I be a Master Gardener! Whoo hoo! Keeps me off the street and out of the bars.

I'm scratchin my head today...

This has reared its ugly head again, but this time its my 2012 Apple-Pear... I think my sulfites were waaaay old & didnt pack a punch anymore, when i used the end of the last package...

I need to hurry up and buy that SC-300 so i dont have to blindly add SO2...

I'm scratchin my head today...

This has reared its ugly head again, but this time its my 2012 Apple-Pear... I think my sulfites were waaaay old & didnt pack a punch anymore, when i used the end of the last package...

I need to hurry up and buy that SC-300 so i dont have to blindly add SO2...

I'm going to be checking my sulfites on a semi-regular basis now that i have one. Will definately be checking prior to bottling.

I am enrolled in the course work for the Ohio Master Gardener Certification program and had my next to last class today...one more to go, then the final exam, 50 hours of community service in gardening plus 20 hours of continuing education and then I be a Master Gardener! Whoo hoo! Keeps me off the street and out of the bars.
Rocky, thats pretty cool. I always wanted to take that course.

Latest posts

Back