What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a side job which I really shouldnt have done but we need the money with my wife out right now. Not feeling that bad though especially for how crappy the job was. I really had my work cut out for me on what was supposed to be an easy job. Made $325 for 6 hours work though but came home with a splitting headache for 1 1/2 hours that I would have given that money away to get rid of it in a heart beat and I never get headaches. All fine now though.

every extra dollar counts Wade..

gotta pay the bills and put food on the table..

Allie

Het Tom, does it say to refridge the yeast we use on a packet? I dont have any in front of me but have never noticed but I know those should be.

Wade, I am suprised you ask that. Yeast should be refrigerated as far as I understand. The Red Star yeasts recommend refrigeration and encourage you, after opening, to use within "x" time. I don't have one in front of me either.

I was surprised when I was at the LHBS the other day, they had a ton of beer yeast sitting in the open(in packets, of course). Alll there wine yeast is in a lil frig. I was wondering myself if they were wrong to have this yeast at room temp.

Troy

dry yeast in kits isn't refrigerated.. foil wrapped for protection.

I keep my lalvin in the fridge, locally, it's sold in a wee plastic bag from the LHBS fridge.. So I just get it home and shove it back in my fridge.

.. they also sell a flash liquid yeast for special varietal grape wines, it comes in a little plastic vial with a stopper.. it has a short shelf life and has to be kept in the fridge.

Allie

What am I doing today?

I was just given a large box of eating plums, 8 kilos of apples and a huge bag of tamarilloes..

I think I'll give tamarillo wine a go this time and make jam out of the plums.

Hunting for a tamarillo recipe now.. I might have enough for two gallons if I add apple juice as well.

I could split the apples and make plum/apple wine I suppose?

suggestions?

Allie

Het Tom, does it say to refridge the yeast we use on a packet? I dont have any in front of me but have never noticed but I know those should be.

Lalvin on the pkg says to keep refrigerated
Red star says up to 2 yrs non frig and OVER 2 yrs if refregeerated.
so YES KEEP IT COOL !

Thanks Tom. I never really use Lalvin as I and quite a few other people had quite a few problems with their yeast 1 1/2 years ago and I addressed them and they didnt want to do anything about it but 1 month after that they recalled many cases of their yeast when finally a retailer jumped in who also had a bunch of problems with the brand all the sudden. Im guessing that Lalvin wants their yeast refrigerated due to their lesser quality packaging compared to Red Star. Those yeast packages have to be cut with a razor blade unlike the tearaway Lalvin package. I have never had a problem after that with their yeast as I do get kits with them in it but I choose not to purposely spend money with them after not backing their product even after many people had problems. Sorry for getting off topic here, finally had a chance to clean up all the leaves in my yard then cooked up some wings for the family.

Waiting to hear from the hospital as my wife wasnt feeling good whle I was at work so went to the doctors office and they decided that the port that had been inserted into her last Friday may be infected. Im waiting for the phone call to see what the heck is going on now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:?:m

Today I bottled my 2008 October Italian all juice Amarone and Brunello. 13 months aging. Now to hide them so I can taste them in 3 years. :try
And yes I did "taste" at bottling as the Wine Gods were generous so I was able to "taste" both. I can just imagine what it will be like in 3 years. It was so good I may only wait for 2 years before I drink some.

If tere is a 3 year rule , call the cops cause every batch has that rule broken. some makes it that long. My friends drink to much for that

Wade, I have my fingers crossed.. infection is not something you need with her veins being bad and everything..

my thoughts are with you.. please give me a pm and let me know how you are both coping.

Allie

Wade, i will speak on behalf of all of us...we are standing by with our fingers crossed and our prayers strong your way. Please keep us posted.

troy

She sat there for 4 1/4 hours and then got:po and left! :re Damn stubborn Italian! She is feeling better right now though! I give up, I just have to stand by her. They did a few tests and cant figure out anything. Whatever! :dg

Troy?

if I started praying..I'd be hit by lightning.. I'm not permitted on sacred ground.....

Wade? I can only offer non lightning prone niceness to your family.

I hope that's some help to you..

( winks @ Troy)

Allie

Today, I'm still grinding venison! Arrggghh..
Back in the day, I hunted for recreation. It was an excuse to get out in the woods. I didn't care if I brought anything home, it was the experience I was "hunting".
For the past 10 years, I've been subsistence hunting. Bringing home the bacon meant the difference between eating beans, and eating meat. Now, it's become one more "chore", like harvesting the crops, or gathering eggs.
It reminds me of my years of S.C.U.B.A. diving. I wanted to be an oceanographer. I loved every minute spent under water. The I became a diving instructor, and salvage diver. After I hung up my tanks, it took years before I could even get excited about getting wet again.
When an avocation becomes a vocation, it sorta takes the fire out....:w

Back