What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just had a good dump of show. 12", alot by our standards. So I just shoveled with a broken foot, that wasn't impossible but it was interesting.

The fun part is that now that it finished snowing, the sky is clearing and we are looking at -20F for a few days starting Sunday, theres a good chance some areas and valleys(me!, yikes) may even see as low as -30F.

So.. here we go!! My 31st winter in cold ash sheets. By December 21st, the shortest day we will be down to about 3 hours of daylight and likely temps around -30 to -40F. Look at the -62F photo in ,my photo album, that was around xmas last year.

No wonder I drink!!! Or the rest of my fellow citizens for that matter.
:d:d:d
Troy
From my experience, there's only about two things to do during a long Alaska winter, but at least you can drink alone.:dg

Well not necessarily, and I see it coming from Wyoming or Montana, "well it gets cold here too!!!" Yes but not the same. I've seen it drop below -25F and take 3 weeks to rise above -15F, Been through a strange pressure situations,more than once, where it stayed -30F and colder for like 6 weeks. And its dark, makes you feel like you are on a strange planet, and I quess we are.

Troy

Last edited:
Relaxing. The shots are finally giving me some relief. I have 1/2 a bottle of dandelion & honey wine in my fridge which I believe Im going to polish off then hit the taps! Got to start making room for my next beer which is a Brewers Best Special Edition HopNog!

I go back for 2 more in 2 weeks and each time they are supposed to pile up on each other and work better.

The TAPS!!! My friend, you may not be in any condition to start dancing yet, let alone tap dancing!! Be careful, is you start break dancing you could really mess your back up!.
Troy

Dancing is good. It develops stomach muscles and that helps back. If you allow your self to get to far out of shape the pain gets worst. Even though it hurts, it helps. That and its fun, puts a smile on your face and makes life a little fuller that watching TV

Troy,
I'm down here in Vancouver, Wa. I've always been drawn to the cold north
(mentally). Trying to get the wife to make the move, but she was raised in north Idaho where they can't get off the hill for several weeks at a time so i'm having a hard time getting her to go back.

Not a whole lot of fun past-25, specially after it doesn't get any warmer than that for weeks on end. Still trying to figure out how we do it.
Troy

we get more snow here but 6 degrees as as cold as it has ever been here and that is rare.teens and 20's as the norm is winter

Just scored ! :mny:mny
20#'s of Red Bananas for $3.00
50#'s of California Carrots $5.00
Deal?? !!
Can't wait to see what else I can pick up Sunday..

Carrot Kim Chi?
Seriously though, pickled carrot slices are as good as pickled beets.

Doing today? Relaxing, now.
Taught Jr. #2 the fine art of removing backstrap and tenderloin from his deer. Wrapped it himself. By next year, I may not have to lift a finger! :h

Last edited:
Carrots? What are your plans for this?
Well you know I am making Carrot Wine and its aging. These will be given to Joeswine tomorrow at my wine club meeting. He in turn will bring them to the stable where he has a horse and feed the entire barn.

Tom. I was wanting to ask how that carrot wine was working what did you do, etc.? Great score!
Troy

Is aging now. I did only a 5 gallon batch. Still have the bright carrot color. I plan on age it for a while. Kinda hard to clear right now. I have in my NJ cellar so the cool should help clear.

Do you have access to amylase Tom?

You may need it if the carrot doesn't clear.

Allie

Back