Eastern Redbud - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I used back in my working days: "Walk fast and look worried and most people won't mess with ya"!!;)
Good advice, almost always works.
Depending on the business you could up the game a bit - small hand tools or perhaps a small first aid kit as props. A fire extinguisher would probably invite unwanted involvement, not good.

Good advice, almost always works.
Depending on the business you could up the game a bit - small hand tools or perhaps a small first aid kit as props. A fire extinguisher would probably invite unwanted involvement, not good.
We had a chap in the Labs where I worked who used to walk about carrying a clipboard with a few printed sheets on it. They couldn't make him redundant, nobody knew what his job was. :slp:D

? Oh sugar !!

church has planted a red bud therefore I have a source. This is 460gm of flowers with hot tea kettle water poured on top. Temp was about 152F.
View attachment 112260
When hot water touched the flowers/ top, the color disappeared. There still seems to be color on the bottom. BUT not as pretty as @BigDaveK
Did you taste the flowers? If so, how was it?

Sorry I missed them this year, darned freezing temps.

If anyone wants redbuds come and dig some up. They grow like weeds here. Just today I pulled 13 that were between 2'-3' tall surrounding my bamboo. They had to go, unfortunately.

Sorry I missed them this year, darned freezing temps.

If anyone wants redbuds come and dig some up. They grow like weeds here. Just today I pulled 13 that were between 2'-3' tall surrounding my bamboo. They had to go, unfortunately.
0h?! Do you ship?! 😉 I just looked at some at the local garden center for $99.00!😩
I ve not found a good source for Red Buds up here. Most are residential plants around my area.:/
Well, there are plenty of other things to make into wine for now..!:) I was going to harvest young Knotweed this morning, but found that all stalks were picked clean by my deer friends. At least it is a reliable, “renewable”😜 crop.

0h?! Do you ship?! 😉 I just looked at some at the local garden center for $99.00!😩
I ve not found a good source for Red Buds up here. Most are residential plants around my area.:/
Well, there are plenty of other things to make into wine for now..!:) I was going to harvest young Knotweed this morning, but found that all stalks were picked clean by my deer friends. At least it is a reliable, “renewable”😜 crop.
Just had a crazy thought....
I've bought bare root plants from Stark Bros - wonder if I could dig up some small ones (<2') in Jan or Feb while dormant and ship. That size might take 3-4 years to flower, though. Or maybe in a small pot? I'm willing.

flavor? green, leafy, not the expected raspberry, not flowery. Roughly 1:1 yielded 1.011 and pH 4.56. This makes me wonder if high temp kills the flavor notes on your finished wine.
I picked another 600 grams yesterday so will try cold steeping.
The one red bud which I have was a 12” seedling from a neighbor’s tree which showed up in my strawberries. It transplanted easily in late May when leafed out. ,,, When

Mailing grape cuttings I have spent time creating a long box where potting mix was tight on one side and leafy stems floating free on the other side. It is effort but works.

flavor? green, leafy, not the expected raspberry, not flowery. Roughly 1:1 yielded 1.011 and pH 4.56. This makes me wonder if high temp kills the flavor notes on your finished wine.
David, that's really interesting! As I mentioned in the original post, my SG was 1.020 and pH at 3.9 and the flowers tasted delicious right off the tree. Weather might play a role. Another possibility - I had no idea there are more than 20 varieties of redbud, only one (the Eastern) is native to North America. 99% sure I have the Eastern. I wonder if you possibly have another variety?

I've been thinking about steeping temperature for herbs and flowers. We make a lot of tea, and the flavor can change considerably depending on the brewing temperature and time. I have yet to experiment on my lemon balm, but I'd like to see how different temps/times affect the flavor profile.

@Rice_Guy Cold steeping is also an option. As is adding the herbs/flowers to the primary, or just adding the "tea." Cold brew coffee tastes different from hot brewed coffee.

So many variables!

I've been thinking about steeping temperature for herbs and flowers. We make a lot of tea, and the flavor can change considerably depending on the brewing temperature and time. I have yet to experiment on my lemon balm, but I'd like to see how different temps/times affect the flavor profile.

@Rice_Guy Cold steeping is also an option. As is adding the herbs/flowers to the primary, or just adding the "tea." Cold brew coffee tastes different from hot brewed coffee.

So many variables!
I've been steeping with hot water (160F-ish) and I've been happy with results. But I'm curious, too, if there will be a difference. Last week I vac sealed and froze enough magnolia for two gallons easily. Now I'm thinking a temperature test is called for.

David, that's really interesting! As I mentioned in the original post, my SG was 1.020 and pH at 3.9 and the flowers tasted delicious right off the tree. Weather might play a role. Another possibility - I had no idea there are more than 20 varieties of redbud, only one (the Eastern) is native to North America. 99% sure I have the Eastern. I wonder if you possibly have another variety?
Ooh?. 20 varieties is good information to know..!:}

Latest posts

Back