Chickweed wine - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You make a good point, Bryan, and perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to judge.
Most of my non berry wines are shades of yellow/amber and my knee jerk reaction is for more color. I'll give some thought to "appropriate" color in the future.
Using hibiscus for something like strawberry, which IME is always pale, soumds good.

If your wine would taste good with a bit of oak, the oak might darken the color a bit. My pear wine has a darker hue when I oak it. But that is only useful if you want the oak.

If your wine would taste good with a bit of oak, the oak might darken the color a bit. My pear wine has a darker hue when I oak it. But that is only useful if you want the oak.
In the past I had no use for light toasted oak, but it may be that 1/2 to 1 oz in 19-23 liters is a good choice for this wine.

I'm still new at this and I just started the "oak" journey about a month ago, lots of experimenting to do and I'm excited about it.

Bramble are very easy to propagate. Another method is to cut a primocane (first year growth) into 8-10 inch pieces and stick them in the ground. I usually have a 75%+ success rate with blackberries, almost 100% with raspberries. You'll have fruit the 2nd year for sure.

Oh, and as far as I know all raspberries are hollowed out.
Even easier, just peg the tip into the soil and it will root itself.

Even easier, just peg the tip into the soil and it will root itself.
Yes, that method works but cutting a single primocane will get me 6 or more plants. Depends on your goal, I guess.

BTW, this year I discovered that an elderberry branch just touching the soil will root like crazy also. Found 2! I'll still do cuttings, though. I plan to hide a large grassy area so I don't have to cut it anymore. 😄 Elderberry will do a better job than brambles.

Yes, that method works but cutting a single primocane will get me 6 or more plants. Depends on your goal, I guess.

BTW, this year I discovered that an elderberry branch just touching the soil will root like crazy also. Found 2! I'll still do cuttings, though. I plan to hide a large grassy area so I don't have to cut it anymore. 😄 Elderberry will do a better job than brambles.
Do you think cutting from a redbud will do the same? I found a few redbuds in very back of property, but I would like some up closer to house where I can see them. I was going to dig up a couple small volunteers and transplant them, but not sure if that will work.

Do you think cutting from a redbud will do the same? I found a few redbuds in very back of property, but I would like some up closer to house where I can see them. I was going to dig up a couple small volunteers and transplant them, but not sure if that will work.
Digging up small volunteers will definitely work. Years ago I transplanted quite a few and had luck with seedlings up to 3 ft tall. I suggest doing it while they're dormant to increase your chances of success. When young the roots are shallow and spreading just beneath the surface so be careful. A taproot seems to form after a couple years and at that point it's too late.
I no longer transplant. Just the opposite - now I pull up dozens of seedlings every year. They're happy here and grow like weeds.

Latest posts

Back