What are you making this fall?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I am curious to see what everyone has plans to make or is already making for the fall wine season.

I plan on getting the following Italian juice pails: Brunello, Amarone, Barolo, and Valpolicella.

I also plan on getting 4 lugs of Sangiovese grapes, 3 of them I'll use to make either a Sangiovese, a Chianti or a Brunello depending on how long I age it, or I may blend it for a Super Tuscan (this is getting to be too much fun!!!!) one lug will become 5 or 6 fresh grape packs that i'll use on the reds.

I feel that all 4 juice bucket varieties will benefit from Sangiovese, more so than using Merlot, all 4 big red Italians will be able to stand up to the Sangiovese without altering the targeted flavors and aroma.

Last but not least, I am getting 6 or so gallons of fresh pressed Catawba juice, I am really excited about this!
My wife and I love Catawba, BenMarl winery in Marlboro NY makes an incredible Catawba.

I plan on using the following yeasts:

Brunello - BM4x4
Amarone - BM4x4
Valpolicella - BM4x4
Barolo - BRL97
Sangiovese Grapes - BM4x4
Catawba - I'm really leaning towards 71B-1122, but I'm open to suggestions.

All reds will be put through MLF using Lalvin MBR 31.

Last edited:
Way to much going lol, love grape season as I have the finger lakes with in 2 hrs of me.
Baco noir
Himrod
Diamond
Niagara
Seyval blanc
Pinot Gris
Rosette
Lake mount seedless
Pinot noir
Chardonnay
Merlot
Riesling
Catawba and a few others as they become available ...

one more 6 gallon blackberry port
Syrah 6 gallon
Cabernet in primary
75 lbs of mustang grapes, frozen
50 lbs peach, frozen
Going to try my hand and make some really good sherry, if i cant drink it, i will cook with it.
have 35 are 40 lbs of Mayhaws.

300 LB of Marechal Foch
1 pail of Sangiovese
Blackberry wine
Apple cider from fresh pressed apples

Already made the Blueberry Melomel, Raspberry Melomel, & Blackberry Melomel..

Still to come:
Banana Bochet Port - W15
Apple-Pear Melomel - 71B
Mead - R-HST
Bochet - W15

All will be made with Go-Ferm, Fermaid-O, Opti-White, Booster Blanc, & FT Blanc Soft.
The Blueberry, Raspberry & Blackberry were all made with Go-Ferm, Fermaid-O, Opti-Red, Booster Rouge, & FT Rouge

Last edited:
I'm doing all PA juices this fall again. We really enjoy them and I have 50+ gallons of Chilean going right now..

Were getting;
Concord
Niagra
Freonia
Catawba
Vidal Blanc
Seyval Blanc

A total of 90 gallons will be purchased as we like to experiment with blends.

Will be doing mostly PA/NY juices this fall, Catawba, Niagara, Rougeon, Foch, Fredonia, Diamond, I have already picked up a bucket of Riesling and Chardonnay and I am thinking of getting a bucket of Zin and a bucket of Cab Sauv after Thanksgiving. Also, will be doing muscadine and whatever is in the freezer

Besides the now continual assembly line of DB and variants, I will be trying my hand at:
Peach
Apple
Pumpkin
Strawberry
And I'll be trying a couple of kits for the first time. Either a Riesling or Gewurztraminer and some sort of Rosso sounds nice.
I have about 30 lbs. of blackberries and about 20 lbs. of Black Raspberries left over that I picked this summer that are taking up freezer space. I'm thinking of blending them with some other fruit but not sure what yet. Any suggestions are welcome!
Bill

Grand Cru riesling, probably a Alexanders riesling and white grape peach blend, a couple of batches of muscadine.

RW,

Too Funny. Keep a seat warm for me in the corner.

This year my plan is to make a brunello, a cab sav, a blend of cab/merlot, and a riesling.

Valpolicella juice bucket from Italy
Petite Syrah grapes from Amador, CA

I'll also be starting an Eclipse Barolo and my peaches will come out of the freezer soon.

Montepulciano juice bucket from Italy
Eclipse Pinot gris

I also joined a wine making cooperative that is able to buy Napa grapes which ship refrgerated and arrive tomorrow:
Cabernet Sauvignon Koch Reserve Hillside vineyard and Atlas Peak Napa Proprietor’s Reserve Stagecoach vineyard.

I tasted last years wines during a blending session and they were outstanding. I am looking forward to learning plenty from the head wine maker in the cooperative.

18 gallons of merlot juice and 100 lbs of cab sav grapes from the lodi valley . Yeast I will use bm45. 6 gallon pail of amarone from italy(bm45)

I feel like a slacker compared to the rest of you guys. I am supposed to get 10 gallons of Chambourcin must any day now and 10 gallons of Norton must around the end of the month. Will be my first time with fresh grapes although I did make a Yakima Syrah pail last year.

I also have 13 gallons of peach wine in various stages of secondary fermentation, clearing, etc.

I would love to try an Italian juice pail - what are the recommended sources?

Montepulciano juice bucket from Italy
Eclipse Pinot gris

I also joined a wine making cooperative that is able to buy Napa grapes which ship refrgerated and arrive tomorrow:
Cabernet Sauvignon Koch Reserve Hillside vineyard and Atlas Peak Napa Proprietor?s Reserve Stagecoach vineyard.

I tasted last years wines during a blending session and they were outstanding. I am looking forward to learning plenty from the head wine maker in the cooperative.

Got any more info on that co-op? Thanks!

Oh let's see. I almost don't want to figure out exactly what I am making this fall.
300 lbs of Chambourcin - made about 26 gallons, sitting doing malolactic fermentation.
4 lugs of Norton - made about 7 gallons, sitting doing malolactic fermentation.
6 gallons of Seyval juice from St. James winery.
6 gallons of Vidal from a friends vineyard/winery in New Haven, MO.
9 gallons of Blackberry Port that had to get started because I ran out of freezer space. That was about 80 lbs of blackberries, some sugar and a very scant amount of water to invert the sugar. It was step-fed and is still bubbling away at about 20% abv. Tastes very hot, but fruity.
6 gallons of regular blackberry wine
12 gallons of blueberry wine

I think that is all of it. Oh wait 70 pounds of cherries in the freezer and I think 28 pounds of blueberries that I should do something with. An Amarone kit and a Riojo kit, they probably won't get started before January, so they may not count.

Latest posts

Back