2024, What are your plans?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plans for this year include a focus on low ABV "cooler" type fruit wines. Which is to say, to make country wines without chaptalization (the addition of sugars), not because I don't like 12-14% ABV country or grape wines but because I really want to see what I can do with cider-type wines made from a variety of berries and stone and other fruits.
I have been thinking of trying this as well. Please let us know how it goes!

Happy to. I am making a hard apple cider and a mango "cider" (both at about 6%), a skeeter pee at around 6% ,and have plans for an orange zest t'ej at about 7%.

Like most people on this forum, I'll be making more wine than I can drink...lol

I realized a few weeks ago that I'll be making my 84th wine this fall, a Merlot from Ruby Hill in California. SR 84 runs right next to the vineyard where the grapes will be grown and harvested. I'm making a special label for this bottle of wine...

Front label made from brushed aluminum...
Ruby Hill Label 2a.jpg Back label...

2024 Ruby Hill Merlot backlabel.jpg

My plans for this year include a focus on low ABV "cooler" type fruit wines. Which is to say, to make country wines without chaptalization (the addition of sugars), not because I don't like 12-14% ABV country or grape wines but because I really want to see what I can do with cider-type wines made from a variety of berries and stone and other fruits.
A word of caution. I have seen pH creep up starting in 2022 when my trees did their first bushel. LAB seem to live in less severe environments.

The reduced alcohol rules aren’t obvious.

I must pull back on the reins this year! It’s crazy how this hobby unintentionally expands until something hits a hard limit.

60 gallon barrel estate Zin
60 gallon barrel estate Syrah
30 gallon Spiedel estate Cab Sauv
5 gallon a tbd white wine

This assumes a similar yield as last year, which could be tough to repeat.
17775.jpeg

slacker..... hehehe
Black Iris Framboise Port 2024

Black Iris Framboise fermented with 71B and finished with EC1118 to get the alcohol up to 18% and then top up every 15 bottle carboy with French Chambord (black raspberry liqueur). If I can't get the alcohol high enough with Chambord I'll add Drambuie (scotch heather honey liqueur)

I must pull back on the reins this year! It’s crazy how this hobby unintentionally expands until something hits a hard limit.

60 gallon barrel estate Zin
60 gallon barrel estate Syrah
30 gallon Spiedel estate Cab Sauv
5 gallon a tbd white wine

This assumes a similar yield as last year, which could be tough to repeat.
View attachment 109660
definitely a winemakers property

Black Iris Framboise Port 2024

Black Iris Framboise fermented with 71B and finished with EC1118 to get the alcohol up to 18% and then top up every 15 bottle carboy with French Chambord (black raspberry liqueur). If I can't get the alcohol high enough with Chambord I'll add Drambuie (scotch heather honey liqueur)
As Freddy the Freeloader stated: SMOOOOOOTHHHHHH!!!!

As Freddy the Freeloader stated: SMOOOOOOTHHHHHH!!!!
tis true! PS I have been in San Antonio and the River Walk plus the Alamo. Great weather in the late fall or early winter. Remember hitting hitting a really good classic German food restaurant at street level.

Last edited:
I've got lots of plans this year:
  • fix my trellis, the anchors keep popping out of the ground so I'm switching to a dead man post (I've got shallow soil)
  • Change vine training from umbrella kniffin to a high wire cordon for most of the varieties I grow, it's better suited for the vigour I'm seeing.
  • Also I learned this past year that L'Acadie has an upright growth habit, and really should be trained VSP style so I'll do that.
  • Propagate and grow more vines. I'm looking to grow more Frontenac, L'Acadie, and Muscat Osceola.
  • I doubt I'll order any vines this year, but if I did I'd get more Crimson Pearl and I want to test out some Gewurztraminer RJ
  • Move my wine making equipment to a space in the barn. I've got a 15'x15' space framed inside, still need to wire up some lights and outlets and insulate the ceiling.

In 2024 I'll be pushing the envelope in my quest for better big reds.
In the spring I plan on making 3 kits with my choice of yeast and extra seed/skin packs, Amarone, Tempranillo and Chilean Diablo Rojo.
The fall wine will probably be another Lodi Cab, if I can get good grapes at a semi-reasonable price.

For whites, I believe I'm done experimenting with juice buckets. Last year's Cali SB in 2 juice buckets came in at pH ~4 and with all my additions and tweeks is not up to par yet. The previous year's Chilean SB buckets was pH ~3.9 before any additions.
My Australian SB kit was trouble free and it is very drinkable at 4 months old. Same with Chardonnay and PG from kits. I think I know what direction I have to take for my whites to be good. And I would never make another red from a juice bucket. Ever!

tis true! PS I have been in San Antonio and the River Walk plus the Alamo. Great weather in the late fall or early winter. Remember hitting hitting a really good classic German food restaurant at street level.
Shiloh's. Schilo's
tis true! PS I have been in San Antonio and the River Walk plus the Alamo. Great weather in the late fall or early winter. Remember hitting a really good classic German food restaurant at street level.

My plan is to hopefully make a wine that doesn't suck...still chasing that goal. Maybe a Rhone blend this year.

Also plan on making sumac wine since I can forage sumac and it won't cost me anything. I've seen a few threads on here with recipes but if anyone can share some that would be appreciated.

I have a young sour cherry tree and if I get a good harvest I may do a small batch of cherry wine.

Also have some fig trees, so maybe a small batch of fig wine if the harvest is good.

I planted a plum and peach tree last year but that will be a few seasons before I dabble with those wines.

Lots of things to keep me busy.

Going to depend on what grapes I can track down! The hope is to do around 15 gallon batches of both Cab Sav and Pinot, and maybe a smaller batch of white. Would love to get some early picked Chard and do a batch of sparkling. Over the summer will start checking the few message boards I've found so see what I can get. Thankfully I'm an hour from Napa/Sonoma, so can just run up and pick.

Over the summer will start checking the few message boards I've found so see what I can get. Thankfully I'm an hour from Napa/Sonoma, so can just run up and pick.
You may have found this already, but most of the wine producing regions have a message board where grapes are listed for sale. Here's Sonoma county for example, they also indicate whether they will sell in home winemaker quantities. I sourced my Syrah last year from the equivalent Mendocino county website.

This is a good thread, it’s helping me come up with a plan instead of just winging it. Sorry for the length:

30 lbs of Rhubarb to make 5 gallons of 22 brix wine. It takes me about 6 lbs of frozen/thawed rhubarb to bucket-press 2.5 gallons of juice. Last year’s rhubarb wine used the @GreginND recipe to make a nice light wine without back-sweetening. This time I want a little more flavor and mouthfeel so I plan to add Chardonnay concentrate from a 1 gallon kit in place of some of the sugar and water. I’ll add Scott'Tan FT Blanc Soft during fermentation and maybe some gum arabic before bottling (both suggested in a @Rice_Guy post).

15 lbs of wild blackberries to make 3 gallons of dry wine without back-sweetening.

10 gallons of Chardonnay (this keeps my wife happy). She likes QA23 or D47 yeast and surlie aging without oak or MLF. We’ve done several WGD Chardonnay frozen buckets from the Chehalem Mountain AVA but they’re all sold out so we’ll try crushed/pressed juice from eastern Washington and do the cold settling in the garage fridge.

About 25 gallons from 400 lbs of Red Mountain AVA Cabernet Sauvignon grapes split into 2 batches to ferment separately with 2 yeasts, then combine. D254 and D80 seem to be popular for big reds but I’m open to suggestions. We don’t press very hard and we keep the press wine separate from the free run for possible blending after aging.

About 12 gallons from 200 lbs of Walla Walla AVA Tempranillo grapes also split into 2 batches with 2 yeasts, probably VRB and SYR.

2 gallons of Cabernet Sauvignon Rosé and 1 gallon of Tempranillo Rosé via Saignee a few hours after grape crush. I’ve never done this before so will take the juice when my wife says it “looks pretty”. I’ll use the same yeast and methods as the Chardonnay.

10 gallons of second press wine from the Cabernet Sauvignon grape pomace and 5 gallons from the Tempranillo. I’ll mix in juice concentrate from cheap kits to boost the flavor. This makes a drinkable wine, (its by no means great) that keeps me from drinking the good stuff.

Last year I took a 4.5 lb scoop of Syrah grape Must (skins and juice) right after crushing and froze it in a seal-a-meal bag for use as an F-Pack. I need to use it this spring but I’m not sure if I’ll put it in a 5 gallon kit wine or maybe Dragon Blood.

I made quite a bit of wine the last couple of years (about 12 barrels worth) and keep telling myself I should take the year off as my friends and I can only drink so much. That said, I'll probably make more....I've been getting some dry farmed Amador cab the last couple of years that is hard to pass by. I'm also thinking of doing a zin again this year as I haven't made any in a few years. Once harvest gets closer I tend to lose my mind and the all bets are off.

Latest posts

Back