Welches (I tried, but...)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it inspiring that folks are not afraid to love America. We live in a day and age where some feel that they have to apologize for it. I love this country the way that only a first generation son can.

That being said, let's not forget the real strength of this great country, the fact that America is a melting pot. There are amazingly few aspects of American life that have not originated in other countries or have been influenced by other cultures. Really, think about it...

When it comes to food products, what is purely American? Corn perhaps? Venison?

Take the iconic apple pie for example. That American classic is made from apples (originally from central Asia), Wheat Flour (originated in the near east 10,000 years ago), butter from domesticated cows (that originated in either the fertile crescent or Asia around 5,000 bc), and sugar (that originated in Polynesia and migrated to the Americas through India). Not one ingredient in standard Apple pie is uniquely American.

Not wanting to go on and on, My point is that this country is great because of our ability to embrace being a melting pot. Even our constitution, that definitively American set of common principles and the foundation of our country, was drafted using the ancient Roman republic (the most successful form of government known at the time) as a guideline.

Should one extend the thought and avoid eating bread, pork, beef, chicken, lamb, butter, eggs, milk, tea, coffee, or sugar? I ask, isn't it more AMERICAN to prefer European grapes that have been grafted onto AMERICAN root stock, and grown in AMERICAN soil by AMERICAN farmers?

Jim, I sure hope you take no offense with the above. I debated posting it and really do not want to offend you. I really do respect what you are doing.

With all due respect, JohnT, no you don't respect it. Let's be honest about it. I am an inferior winemaker in your eyes because of the ingredients I use. I'm good with that.

With all due respect, JohnT, no you don't respect it. Let's be honest about it. I am an inferior winemaker in your eyes because of the ingredients I use. I'm good with that.

To be honest, I do not think you an inferior winemaker.

In my opinion, (and it is just that, my opinion) the grapes are inferior to what I look for in a wine.

I do respect your attempts to make an inferior ingredient (again my opinion as a wine snob) work.

Some people think Ballast Point Sculpin is the best
Some people think Bud is the king of Beers!
Some think that CHÂTEAU LAFITE, 1787 ($156,450 per bottle) if good,
Some think that Riunite is the best ever!!!

It is all subjective!

As a noob, I want to thank all you old-timers for keeping this complete and utterly useless train wreck of thread alive and well, and at the top of the beginners forum for so long….good job everyone! ;)

I kid, I kid, but seriously this thread really needs to die a merciful death…

As a noob, I want to thank all you old-timers for keeping this complete and utterly useless train wreck of thread alive and well, and at the top of the beginners forum for so long….good job everyone! ;)

I kid, I kid, but seriously this thread really needs to die a merciful death…

Whoa.....Whoa....Whoa!!!!!
Who are you calling an old timer????
:ft

Some think that CHÂTEAU LAFITE, 1787 ($156,450 per bottle) if good,

But it would appear some really don't know what a 1787 Chateau Lafite actually tastes like..........see Rodenstock.

Seriously JohnT, now you have gone and done it! but I must say kudos to you for telling a lie to make another member feel better.

Seriously JohnT, now you have gone and done it! but I must say kudos to you for telling a lie to make another member feel better.

i know, julie, i know... but whatever fallout i got coming, i got coming. it is not even close to what i owe for offending js.

Back