WE Eclipse Kitwith skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderdog

Junior
Reaction score
I'm now on my second kit which is a WE Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel. To my surprise after racking from the primary fermenting bucket to the carboy, I actually had extra wine remaining in the fermenting bucket after completely filling the carboy up to within an inch of the bung and airlock. I did measure the amount of water added as per the instructions and filled to the 6 gal mark before adding the grape skins. Not much wine left but approximately a good water glass full left remaining that could have been siphoned if there was room in the carboy (Better Bottle 6 gal.). Is it normal to have this much remaining in the bucket? My last kit was a WE Selection International and I actually had to top off, but not with the Eclipse Kit. Can the experienced advise if this is normal.
I'm not concerned but just curious. If this is the case I may stay just a bit below the 6 gal mark on my next WE Eclipse kit.

Yes, my experience with the kits that have larger wet grapeskins packs is the same. These add quite a bit of volume to the must and this results in extra when racking. This extra can be put in a smaller bottle - a 375 ml or a beer bottle or larger bottle if needed and put under airlock and saved for later top up.
If you have an Italian (ribbed) carboy, it holds about 24 liters so you can transfer from the bucket to this and then rack down to your better bottle later without topping up.
I would recommend against starting the kit at a smaller volume since this can throw off the balance of the wine.

Yes, my experience with the kits that have larger wet grapeskins packs is the same. These add quite a bit of volume to the must and this results in extra when racking. This extra can be put in a smaller bottle - a 375 ml or a beer bottle or larger bottle if needed and put under airlock and saved for later top up.
If you have an Italian (ribbed) carboy, it holds about 24 liters so you can transfer from the bucket to this and then rack down to your better bottle later without topping up.
I would recommend against starting the kit at a smaller volume since this can throw off the balance of the wine.

Good suggestion, I will follow your advise and pick up some 375 ml bottles for use in the future. to late for this batch but I did sample a bit before tossing out the excess. Based on the sample, I think I have a great wine in the making. Will be a challenge to wait for it to age properly.

Latest posts

Back