WineXpert How much water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceA

Junior
Reaction score
Just purchased a Sommelier select wine kit. Have two questions
1. Going to use spring water, how much do I need to buy?
2. The instructions say put in the grape juice then add water to the 6 gallon level, then add the grape skins. The instructions say a 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket is required which I have but wouldn’t adding the grape skin cause an overfill situation?? Adding the skins would bring the liquid level up around 7 gallons???

1. Depends upon the original kit size. 5 gallons may or may not be enough. I'd get 6 to be sure, it won't go bad.

2. You are going to be tight with a 6.5 gallon fermentor. 6 gallons of must plus the skins will come out to just under 6.5 gallons. IIRC a standard fermentor bucket is 7 gallons. I run a 7.9 gallon and it usually contains the foaming inherent with wine making. Many use a food grade Brute trashcan of 10 gallons. I can not agree with the instructions saying to use a 6.5 gallon. If you have a restaurant supply house nearby they will have food grade containers of various sizes, and usually at good prices.

I might suggest mixing the juice and water until your SG is at your target, then divide into two buckets. Add the skins then your yeast. You’ll want to punch down the skin packs so lots of extra room is needed. After the ferment has slowed to 1.020 or so, then you can combine into one 7.9g bucket. You won’t be sorry.

1. Depends upon the original kit size. 5 gallons may or may not be enough. I'd get 6 to be sure, it won't go bad.

2. You are going to be tight with a 6.5 gallon fermentor. 6 gallons of must plus the skins will come out to just under 6.5 gallons. IIRC a standard fermentor bucket is 7 gallons. I run a 7.9 gallon and it usually contains the foaming inherent with wine making. Many use a food grade Brute trashcan of 10 gallons. I can not agree with the instructions saying to use a 6.5 gallon. If you have a restaurant supply house nearby they will have food grade containers of various sizes, and usually at good prices.
Really appreciate your help, I do have a 10 gallon plastic fermentation jug being delivered today . I did look at several wine kit instructions for other kits with skins and they said use a 8 gallon jug.. feel good about things, thanks again

Welcome to WMT Bruce.

There always is more than one way. Option C which I do is to intentionally keep the gravity in the primary higher as 1.100 / volume low as 5.5 gallon and then use the remaining 1/2 g water as a variable for topping off when racking after pressing.
This is interesting, have you tried an experiment where you follow this procedure and then make the same kit with full water? I'd be interested in knowing if there was any taste variance due to adding the water over time vs all at the beginning.

Latest posts

Back