Watering grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gird123

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some new grapes and I would like to control the watering much better. I have them on 1 gph emitters how ofter and how long should I water. I'm in Nevada with almost no rain.

1st year?
2nd year?

Thank you,

Nate

I haven't installed my drip irrigation just yet, but, here in Northeast TN, we usually water in the morning for about an hour and in the evening for the same amount of time. We have a lot of humidity and experience periods of drought. We water at these times to let the plants get the most water before it evaporates off during the day. I don't know if this is the best, but it is what I have been told my whole life.

"Grape vines typically get 3 to 6 gallons of water a week from July through harvest or 6 hours once a week in the system described above. More during heat spells. Water is the only way to relieve heat stress. And more in their first year."
http://www.sonomavineyardland.com/index.php?Page=Infrastructure

We have no humidity. I will try twice a day for a while then I will probably back down to an hour a day. In the morning.

Is it true you want to see a little wilt before you water?

I do 45 min a day during the hottest parts of the Summer (June, July August). Mine are on a drip as well with 1GPH (pressure compensating). I shut them off if we get rain etc. I am at 6500 ft and it can get HOT and DRY just not Nevada HOT and DRY if you know what I mean!

I am hoping to get my drip irrigation up and running this year. I am digging the trench from my house to the first post next week so I can run the water supply. Luckily, we have had a good amount of rainfall so far this year. My grapes are native to this area, so I feel like they will be fine until I can get the system running. They should accustom to the climate here.

Back