Grape ripening time running out?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Engel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

This post might be intended for all the growers in western Washington. I have a ton of Merlot grapes this year from my back yard vines (see below), but as I review my journal, in 2021 from bud burst to harvest was 159 days, harvested on August 26th. Last year was 135 days and harvest was on October 19th, bud burst wasn’t until May 1st. This year bud burst was again right around May 1st. We had an exceptionally warm and dry October last year. I don’t see even a hint of color change on one grape and October is just about here. I’m starting to be concerned I may not have a harvest at all if it starts raining and stays cool. 🫤

IMG_3542.jpeg

Last edited:
October is just about here.
September isn’t even here yet!

Anyone who gardens or farms understands your concern. Ripening, dormancy and many other processes are also triggered by day length so you should start to see changes soon. Without the heat though you may have less than desirable numbers. Good luck. And beautiful grapes.

You giving up on September when its still August? We just had the hottest July on record. August will surely set records as well. Patience is a virtue with all things related to wine including grape growing. Hang time is your friend.

No Guys, not giving up... this is my first large production year (7 vines... LOL). Three years in a row of having somewhere between 2 and 19 total clusters... eh, not much thought, the baby vineyard is still maturing. All of a sudden in the 4rth year, I have 50+ huge green clusters. My red table grapes have been turning for 2 weeks now. I'll keep you informed of the progress!

I am in Western Washington,too. Small vineyard of Riesling, Sangiovese and Nebbiolo. The Riseling is starting to turn, as are the Sangiovese. The Nebbiolo hasn't started turning yet, but my previous harvest for the past 10 years have usually come in around the second week of October, so there is still time. Then again , it is farming , and farming is never a sure thing. I'm just always hoping for the best.

Good luck with yours!

Merlot is a grape among the longest ripening periods. For a harvest prediction, calculating growing degree-days is more accurate than counting days since bud burst, especially in a varying temperature costal environment. I bet some late summer heat will get you to verasion quickly.

I didn't start checking brix until last week, after hurricane Hillary dumped 2.4" of rain on my vineyard... The merlot and Cab have been a nice dark purple for several weeks now. My zinfandel has a lot of dark black berries, but also a lot of scattered green berries. There is still some green here and there on my cab and merlot, but not nearly as much as there is on my zin. I also noticed the zin started veraison about 2 weeks after the merlot this year, so the discrepancy makes sense.

Last week I did my first round of checking brix and then checked again this week. The results are interesting.
Date: 8/22
Zin: 14 brix
Cab: 16 brix
Merlot: 17 brix

Date: 8/28
Zin: didn't bother checking... too many green berries to factor in anyway.
Cab: 19 brix
Merlot: 20 brix

So to me this indicates that the 1 brix per week isn't really going to be accurate, at least not until you get closer to the finish line. So it may be accurate once the brix have hit 23 or 23, but from veraison to harvest, if each 1 brix took a week then it would take a minimum of 5 months for the whole process, but on average veraison to harvest is 2 to 3 months max.

I'm guessing I should be at 24 brix in another two weeks, especially since it's been 103F here in Murrieta, CA for the last few days. Fingers crossed were done with freak rain storms for a while, that storm caused a lot of splitting and ruined my table grapes, fortunately the wine grapes have thicker skin and were mostly spared.

It’s much the same in California agonizingly slow ripening we might not get our grapes till the end of October early November. We have a contract for grapes that’s starting to be a bit scary.
Hi All,

This post might be intended for all the growers in western Washington. I have a ton of Merlot grapes this year from my back yard vines (see below), but as I review my journal, in 2021 from bud burst to harvest was 159 days, harvested on August 26th. Last year was 135 days and harvest was on October 19th, bud burst wasn’t until May 1st. This year bud burst was again right around May 1st. We had an exceptionally warm and dry October last year. I don’t see even a hint of color change on one grape and October is just about here. I’m starting to be concerned I may not have a harvest at all if it starts raining and stays cool. 🫤

This week's cold front isn't going to help us.

I'm not sure if my Tannats are going to get there. I'm pretty confident my Malbecs, and remaining Tempranillos will get there.

Did a Brix run yesterday. 16-22 most on the lower side. Did hit one test at 25 but only one.

Looks like a very light crop. Almost no Merlot. Cabs, very small berries, Syrah, few but nice clusters.
Dang that’s quite the spread, it’s a regular year in regards to yields here nobody is up on yields but we are also not massively down like we were in 2022. I’m hopeful that the grapes will continue to ripen and eventually hit where we want it’s just a very long agonizing wait to see what happens.

We haven’t tested our grapes in about 2 weeks but last test for Merlot came out at 17 brix im thinking it’s probably like 19-20 just struggling to get to 24 would have liked it to be ripe by first of the month but not going to happen.
Did a Brix run yesterday. 16-22 most on the lower side. Did hit one test at 25 but only one.

Looks like a very light crop. Almost no Merlot. Cabs, very small berries, Syrah, few but nice clusters.

Latest posts

Back