Vineyard got a face lift

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Engel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Well this past week, I learned that Merlot is not the grape to be growing in Western Washington where I live as the season is too short and it doesn't get warm enough long enough. Typically Merlot needs at least 3 more weeks of good warm temperatures with our rain. But I also learned there is a grape almost made for my climate; Pinot Noir Precoce. My favorite wine! Found the local outlet for these vines and dug up 4 Merlot vines and planted 6 Pino Noir vines. So it will be another couple years before I can make that wine. Sigh. Kept 4 Merlot vines to play with anyway.

IMG_3613.jpegIMG_3614.jpeg

Where in WA?
I am in north OR and have found that Pinot Noir is a great grape to grow here. My personal vineyard, 15 vines, is planted with 9 PN. It was my 4 season before I got good fruit even though I let fruit set on the 3rd year. This year we got a rain a week before I harvested but I covered all the vines to keep it off and had a great fruit. I do stress out each spring about fruit set because of the snows we have had the last few years though.

Hey Jusatele,

I‘m 45 minutes north of Seattle. I had just those plans in mind for early fall rains AND late spring frosts. Cannot wait to see what may be in 3 years. Meanwhile, I will continue to nurture the Merlot vines along, the more mature they are the stronger they are. Next year I will cover them if we get early fall rains like this year. Good to meet you!

Dave

Latest posts

Back