Total Newbie equipment question...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfoss

Junior
Reaction score
So I made wine at my bosses house with his equipment. He has basic equipment. The only thing I have so far is bottles that I have saved and cleaned. Does anyone know of a place to buy a good basic kit. I don't want to spend tons but i don't want to buy junk either. I know I don't want the glass carboy. Would prefer a screw on lid for my fermenter. Other than that I am open to links with the basic kit that you prefer. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

would you prefer to start out small with a one gallon equipment kit? This would be your cheapest option then if you enjoy the hobby then you can add to the kit as you go.
http://www.homebrewit.com/wine-equipment-kits.php

Or you can get a 6 gallon kit at most home brew shops, this is more cost up front but you will not outgrow the kit quite as fast.

I would encourage you to find a local shop where you live. There must be other winemakes from the Western Iowa area who are here on this site. Perhaps some of the locals have equipment they would be interested in selling.

You may want to reconsider your position regarding glass carboys. There are reasons most home winemakers select the equipment that they do. Glass carboys are great for degassing wine. Plastic carboys can't stand that kind of vacume pressure.

Read all the articles you can about wine making. I found Jack Kellers wep site a good place to start.

Best of luck.

PCharles

Hi Shelly,
Don't know where in western Ia. you are, but there are at least 2 brew stores in Omaha. If that is a bit far, try one of our sponsers here. If you give them a call, I am sure they will help you with what equiptment you want and not try and sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need. Good luck with the adventure. Arne.

Basic kits run about $99 to $120. Some places make up supreme and deluxe editions for more. The basic kit is a good start and are cheaper than buying them one piece at a time. After that, do some research on what you want. I don't sell many one gallon kits, mostly the 6 gallon kits. It is easier to make changes in 6 gallons than it is in a one gallon. (ie: adding 1/4 tsp of something to 6 gallons compaired to dividing that 1/4 tsp by 6)
I tell customers, you can work on a car with a screwdriver and a pair of plyers or a full set of Mac tools. Same with wine making, you can start with a gallon jug and a balloon or just short of a small winery. There is a LOT of room inbetween for equipment so choose wisely.
Read a bunch of threds here. lots of info.
Good luck and enjoy.

Im so sorry, i didn't give you guys very much to go on. I did a 6 gallon kit and would continue doing that until i am comfortable enough to go on to make my own. So i am thinking a 7+ gallon fermentor and a 6 gallon caboy...

You might try this link, comes with equipment and two juice kits, If you like reds the Baraolo & Montepulciano are nice. The forum has lots of sugestions on how to tweak these Paklab kits. Ive done both with grape packs and they are very nice.

http://www.mywinemonvin.com/vino-europa-complete

Midwest supplies has equipment kits as well.

Ebay is another good source.

Since I shop at FVW here I suggest getting one of their kits if you're looking for something new.

http://www.finevinewines.com/Z_ProdListSPEO.asp

I would suggest starting with the 1015A and joining the Grower's Club for an extra 10% off. I know George has a $10 shipping deal going on this month but I'm not sure if this qualifies. It looks like he also has packages that include a wine ingredients kit.

OR....the cheaper method is to check craigslist in your area. People are always selling cheap, used beer and wine kits around here. I usually check those out for extra equipment.

Ditto to southlake333 suggestion. Plus they have a $9.99 freight offer going on right now. A equipment kit would get you in the growers club and a 10% discount on all future purchases. perfect timing.

Midwest supply

You might try this link, comes with equipment and two juice kits, If you like reds the Baraolo & Montepulciano are nice. The forum has lots of sugestions on how to tweak these Paklab kits. Ive done both with grape packs and they are very nice.

http://www.mywinemonvin.com/vino-europa-complete

Midwest supplies has equipment kits as well.

Ebay is another good source.
Midwest Supply
Is pretty close to me although not close enough to make a random trip. I found a nice set there and I ordered some island mist Strawberry to try for my first kit since I want cheap and easy for the first time doing it on my own. Thank you all for your ideas and help. Will let you know how it goes, I am sure I will have a bunch of questions.

Thats what my boss says too! Im getting excited again. I need to do alot of reading here too before my stuff comes!

Latest posts

Back