Sweetening with concentrates/ sediment in bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

season79

Junior
Reaction score
Hi! I have started back sweetening with concentrates. My last batch was a blackberry concord mix so I back sweetened with welches concord concentrate, added K Meta and sorbate then bottled. I started getting a lot of sediment in my bottles. Here are my questions: could the concentrate have caused this? It had been completely clear in the carboy for several months before I sweetened it. My second question: Since there was so much sediment I poured all the bottles back into the carboy to clear the wine again and I added more K Meta. Do I need to add more when I bottle again? Thanks !

Yeah, you will want to let it sit in a carboy for a awhile, for one to settle out any sediment, and for another to ensure that you don't have renewed fermentation.

you can add kmeta again when you get ready to bottle, no need for anymore sorbate....
you need to rack and if you see no sediment in a week are two, i would bottle...even a light sediment dusting. is not good..you have to make sure all is dropped..

Question 1 -yes the sediment probably came out of your concentrate
2- It would depend on how long it took for your wine to clear before just adding more k-meta. If you added before bottling and then again when you poured it back to carboy you probably have enough depending on this time frame. If you're able to get a test kit for "free S02 " it would help determine if you need to add more or not.I've just learned to watch my wines with this test and it certainly eliminates over/under dosing.

Back