Stupid, stupid, stupid Beginners mistake. What to do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huba Huba

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight I racked/filtered and bottled my 14 month old Amarone kit. Checked pH, SG, added glycerin and 1/2 cup sugar. Problem is I forgot to add K Meta. It's been racked every three months and have added K Meta each time. pH was 3.3, SG 0.998, taste is good, a little sharp, that's why I added a small amount of sugar. What are the chances it will be OK? Should I mix 1/4 tsp in 15 cc of water/wine, pull all the corks and add 0.5 cc to each bottle then re-cork? Pull the corks, pour back into carboy add K Meta the re-bottle?

Which kit is it?The winexpert kit comes with sorbate/kmeta together,so if you added that you should probably be ok,and the initial dose of kmeta is quite high. I immagine you have no way of measuring SO2?

Sorbate was added at the end of fermentation per kit instructions, 14 months ago. I thought you only added sorbate once.
I do not have a way to measure SO2
If you used the included sorbate, you're fine. Only add sorbate once.

That concern addressed, you're probably ok. K-meta will be lower than optimal, but should be ok for a couple of years. If you are planning longer shelf life, I'd unbottle.

A 12 month old wine with no sorbate but normal metabisulphite at room temp, at .998 gravity for a year, has a risk in the range of 0.01% ,,, ie risk never goes away in creating a shelf stable wine or can or jar of beans or pasta sauce, ,,, but are you going to repeat this batch 10,000 times to referment . ,,, With wine at 11% ABV food poisoning won’t be an issue.

There still is risk when sorbate is used but with free SO2 and pH and anaerobic conditions it is low. ,,, I would not add sorbate on year old wine unless I knew I was sloppy as not cleaning tubing and mixing tank etc.

new product coming off a canning line is held in a room temp warehouse for a week to check for swelling of cans/ sloppy processing. ,,, The goal in canned food is to get the risk down to one in 1,000,000,000 The concern is that botulism toxin kills people.

Alright, it sounds like I am probably OK. But if I want to be sure would it do any harm to pull the corks, add 1/30th of a K Metabisulfite dose ( 1/4 tsp in 15 cc of water or wine, then add 1/2 cc to each bottle) to each bottle and re-cork.
It's only the price of the corks and time, I would feel better, especially if any of it last more than a couple of years. I planned on giving away 12-15 bottles so have no control over when it will be drank..

Alright, it sounds like I am probably OK. But if I want to be sure would it do any harm to pull the corks, add 1/30th of a K Metabisulfite dose ( 1/4 tsp in 15 cc of water or wine, then add 1/2 cc to each bottle) to each bottle and re-cork.
I was thinking that you'd need to unbottle all that wine, but your plan is far better. It makes sense.

I was thinking that you'd need to unbottle all that wine, but your plan is far better. It makes sense.
Both are good choices... The only other option is to drink a bottle per day until you experience some carbonation at which point you up to two bottles and consume at a rate carbonation cannot keep up until either the wine is totally consumed or you really don't care if some bottle bombs detonate.🤪

Latest posts

Back