Is my "wine rule" cheat sheet pullin’ a fast one?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearpaw8491

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I maintain a “down and dirty” cheat sheet for quick reference. I was reviewing this morning and ran across an entry indicating that one can add 1 tsp of K-Meta/ 5 gals at bottling.

I routinely add 1/4 tsp / 5gals at bottling to add aprox. 50ppm. I also add 0.4g at each rack.

I have no idea when I made this entry or what the source reference was since the “Wine Rule Log” is over 20 yrs old.

Has anyone added K-Meta at 1 tsp/5gals and if so, why?

I maintain a “down and dirty” cheat sheet for quick reference. I was reviewing this morning and ran across an entry indicating that one can add 1 tsp of K-Meta/ 5 gals at bottling.

I routinely add 1/4 tsp / 5gals at bottling to add aprox. 50ppm. I also add 0.4g at each rack.

I have no idea when I made this entry or what the source reference was since the “Wine Rule Log” is over 20 yrs old.

Has anyone added K-Meta at 1 tsp/5gals and if so, why?
I did by mistake 10 years ago. To chardonnay. Should have been 1/4 tsp and I put in 1 tsp. 240 ppm. So, fermentation of the juice was a struggle until I added hydrogen peroxide to get the pm’s down. It turned out to be a drinkable wine but not a good wine.

Latest posts

Back