Ruby Cabernet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkusn

Junior
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you have tried making Ruby Cabernet and if you have any pointers for me.

They are going to be picking next week and when i get my juice and grapes i just dunk a bucket in the semi trailer.

1st question... when i get the juice for the wine how much grape skins should i take with the juice? if that makes any sence. Im going to try and do about 10-15 gallons

This is what an article online i found said about it. "Ruby Cabernet certainly got the deep dark red and violet color of both parents, but it also inherited the heavy tannins of both grapes, which makes difficult to work with on its own and even more difficult to balance with its alcohol and acidity to create fine wines" so this being said...

2nd question..... What is a good recomendation for yeast to use with this wine?

Im planning on doing the same amout of Cabernet in october when they pick thoes grapes so ive even thought about blending the two together.

So what does everyone think?

Last edited:
I am assuming the semi trailer is filled with whole, uncrushed grapes. You want to fill your bucket with whole, uncrushed grapes if possible. The more skins, the richer the red wine.

Yeast depends on what characteristics you like. Some yeast results in fruitier wines, some in less fruity.

Here is the yeast guide I always use.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.morewinemaking.com/public/pdf/wyeastpair.pdf

Once you choose a yeast, look it up on the internet and find out how much nutrient it needs and its temperature range. Don't overlook the importance of feeding and temperature; do it by the book.

Never made a ruby before. Have thought about buying some each time I place my juice order. Maybe next year.

You could use RC-212 from Lalvin for the yeast. As far as how long on the skins on the juice don't over do the buckets. You'l want to have enough room to push the skins down and keep them wet. Tannin can be removed via egg whites if it's too tannic for you.

Before you blend your wines do a small test in a few glasses to see if you like them first. Plus backsweeten to find the right amount of sweetness for you. Sometimes just a hint of sugar can really bring out the grape flavor.

The grapes are harvested by a machine that rolls them off into a trailer and as they roll off the weight crushes eachother so i can take just juice, just grapes, or a mixture of both. To me it just seems easier the more juice i get the less mess i will have pressing out the skins. I just didnt know if i needed to start with whole grapes with red wine.

The grapes are harvested by a machine that rolls them off into a trailer and as they roll off the weight crushes eachother so i can take just juice, just grapes, or a mixture of both. To me it just seems easier the more juice i get the less mess i will have pressing out the skins. I just didnt know if i needed to start with whole grapes with red wine.

I see. For a rich red, starting with whole grapes is better, but if the grapes are partially crushed, as you say, get a mixture of whole grapes, partially crushed grapes, and juice. The more whole grapes the better, but they will need crushed.

Are you able to crush the grapes before you start fermentation? How do you plan on crushing them - destemmer/crusher or by hand?

I think you will want mostly juice but also a fair amount of crushed berries. It takes a day or two for the juice to fully extract the color from the skins. If you have the right amount of skins to juice you should (in theory) get a nice deep color without any huge tannin overload from fermenting on 100% full crushed berries.

The harvester destems the grapes. Some grapes will have the little stems on the individual grapes still but is it ok if some have the little stems or do i need to get them all off?

Some will be crushed but alot will be whole but yes if i was to get whole grapes i will have to crush by hand.

As you can tell, we all have different opinions. There is no wrong way here. Do what you feel is right and the wine will turn out great.

Those small ends of stems won't hurt anything. It would take you days to remove them one by one.

So the grapes are being picked tonight ill keep you guys posted... i decided to go with the RC-212

So i ended up with about 18 gallons of rubycab juice 85%/15% grapes. So heres what ive done and the more comments the better.

I asked the farmer this morning while they were harvesting if they added anything to the trailer he said the put a packet of so2 in the bottom of the trailer with 6 tons of grapes he wasnt sure the amout that was in the package. i took my amount off the top of the trailer right after they poured the grapes into it so i dont think much mixed in with the mixture i took.

I tested the acid it came to .70%
I got a reading of 1.106 with the hydrometer
I added 16 camden tablets this morning.
This afternoon i added pectic enzyme the package said 3/4 tsp per gallon so thats what i added.......

So is there anything that i missed or should do tomorrow before adding the Yeast should i add 3 or 4 packets for the 18 gallons or does it matter ? Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
So i went with the 3 packets of rc-212 yeast yesterday. Its bubbling away today how often should i punch the grapes down on the top? i just pressed them all down but they came right back to the top.

So just tested the SG and im at 1.054 so i should transfer to the carboys around 1.010 is that correct?

Latest posts

Back