First timer. Too fast fermentation? what to do next? 100%% newbie in wine making.. and making red wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllaW

Junior
Reaction score
hello, winemaking friends! im new at wine making. have 3 rows of red wine grapes in Illinois and making wine first time. Picked it, squeezed it, let sit on the countertop for 4 days, removed the skins, put juice in the bottle, added wine yeast (1 pckg) and 300 g of sugar. Fermentation seemed active for 3 days and now it stopped and looks so dead...is it ok and what should i do next now? measure brix?, add sugar? or just let it sit more and wait? sorry, questions are not very smart, i know) forgive me, its my first wine ever)

Attachments

• 367885609_827924545458074_8506669471066317601_n.jpg
    367885609_827924545458074_8506669471066317601_n.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 0
  • 367758113_186536114443532_6932758903981879720_n.jpg
    367758113_186536114443532_6932758903981879720_n.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0
First of all... Welcome to WMT!

Red wines typically keep the skins in the must. You removed them so you’ll make a lighter colored wine, more like a rose.

A hydrometer is a device to measure the density of the must. Typical starting points are 1.090 indicating there is sugar in the must. When the specific gravity gets to about 1.000, it is done fermenting. 3 days is not unusual. I’m assuming this is where you are. If so, then rack (siphon) off the wine into another vessel. Add 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite (aka kmeta). Make sure the vessel is topped off so there is minimum air space in the vessel and put an airlock on it.

Oxygen is required for healthy yeast when the SG is at the initial point, say 1.090, until approximately 1.020. After that oxygen is to be avoided so as to not oxidize the wine, giving a flabby taste. CO2 is a byproduct of fermentation and helps keep bacterial spoilage from occurring. CO2 is given off during fermentation, and remains in the wine until it dissipates in time or you physically remove it. So at this point your wine is safe but you should probably rack/siphon it to another vessel, top the vessel up, and airlock it. Rack again in 3 months, adding Kmeta every time you rack.

Last edited:
First of all... Welcome to WMT!

Red wines typically keep the skins in the must. You removed them so you’ll make a lighter colored wine, more like a rose.

A hydrometer is a device to measure the density of the must. Typical starting points are 1.090 indicating there is sugar in the must. When the specific gravity gets to about 1.000, it is done fermenting. 3 days is not unusual. I’m assuming this is where you are. If so, then rack (siphon) off the wine into another vessel. Add 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite (aka kmeta). Make sure the vessel is topped off so there is minimum air space in the vessel and put an airlock on it.

Oxygen is required for healthy yeast when the SG is at the initial point, say 1.090, until approximately 1.020. After that oxygen is to be avoided so as to not oxidize the wine, giving a flabby taste. CO2 is a byproduct of fermentation and helps keep bacterial spoilage from occurring. CO2 is given off during fermentation, and remains in the wine until it dissipates in time or you physically remove it. So at this point your wine is safe but you should probably rack/siphon it to another vessel, top the vessel up, and airlock it. Rack again in 3 months, adding Kmeta every time you rack.
thank you so much, Ohio Bob, i will follow your instructions and will rack the wine. i think i do not have kmeta..will look at amazon. i have hydrometer. But because im new at all this, i tried it and saw 1.000 like water and i thought my hydrometer is broken or just cant see right..I have one more question - if i have the same dead wine , that finished fermenting 1 week earlier (my first batch), do you think i can blend/rack them together (with this second batch)to the new vessel, so i may have full vessel then? and yes, next time i will leave skins for fuller flavor, i did not know i can leave skins in the must. And when i rack in 3 months, its about to be ready? or i have to put it for aging in the barrel or somewhere, or rack again in another 3 months? i guess i just will taste it every time i rack and when it tastes good ( fingers crossed) then its ready??

if i have the same dead wine , that finished fermenting 1 week earlier (my first batch), do you think i can blend/rack them together (with this second batch)to the new vessel, so i may have full vessel then?
Welcome to WMT.

If you measured the SG of 1.000 after it was done bubbling that just affirms that fermentation is complete or nearly so.

You can certainly combine both wines in one vessel. You should add the k-meta (potassium metabisulfite) ASAP then let the wine age. After that first racking you don’t really need to rack off of the fine lees. But you should still add more k-meta every three or four months.

Welcome to WMT!

I suggest you read this post, which walks you through the general winemaking process. I've written posts that go through facets of winemaking in more detail, with pictures that help illustrate points. These won't take long to read, and you should get a solid understanding of winemaking in general.

Further, download the MoreWine! red and white grape manuals (link is in my sig). Skim the white wine manual, as it's appropriate for where you are now. This goes into a LOT more detail, and you won't digest it in one reading. So skim it a few times. Before your next harvest, do the same with the red wine manual.

Keep asking questions -- it's easier to guide you onto a good path than it is to fix problems, and as you already know, you'll get good help.

When to bottle? That all depends on the wine. My general guidelines are:
whites, light reds, light fruits: 4 to 6 months
heavy whites, medium reds, medium fruits: 6 to 9 months
heavy reds, heavy fruits: 9-12+ months

Some really quick drinkers like Dragons Blood and Skeeter Pee can be bottled more quickly, but generally speaking, don't bottle before 4 months. Also note that the above times are guidelines, not rules. Each wine is different so you have to make judgment calls on things.

Welcome to WMT.

If you measured the SG of 1.000 after it was done bubbling that just affirms that fermentation is complete or nearly so.

You can certainly combine both wines in one vessel. You should add the k-meta (potassium metabisulfite) ASAP then let the wine age. After that first racking you don’t really need to rack off of the fine lees. But you should still add more k-meta every three or four months.
thank you, will do!!

Latest posts

Back