Port Blend Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkwing

Reaction score
What would be a good blend for port wines? Would it make a difference if I was making a ruby port vs getting a barrel and making a tawny? I might do both. I imagine there is a lot of right answers but I have no idea what might be a bad blend so hopefully someone has some experience with these.

Turns out I can get more varieties than last year. Probably the most relevant I can get Touriga Nacional (Apparently similar to Cabernet Sauvignon), Tempranillo (Tinta Roriz), Cabernet Franc (Maybe similar to Touriga Francesa???). So I can get two of the varieties used in port and maybe a close substitute third. I can get the common grapes too so they could be used. So by all means make suggestions.

I can get Valdepena it's a form of Tempranillo so not sure what's different besides it's cheaper.

The following is a quote from Wine Spectator Dow's Vintage Port 2011, "Together, the two quintas provide more than three-quarters of the blend: Touriga Franca (40 percent) provides silky fruit flavors, Touriga Nacional (36 percent) offers power and structure, and Sousão (10 percent) gives deep color. The remainder comes from old-vine mixed plantings."

I'd be fortifying with 95% Everclear since I lack the proper high proof white brandy. TheSousão may not matter for color if I'm not diluting as much due to the higher ABV fortifying agent.

Would aging in a new oak barrel for 10 years be too much oak? I could cycle through a few batches of wine for a few months before settling on the long term aging.

Anything INKY DARK in color works just fine. Syrah, Petit Sirah, even a high brix Zin will work just fine. The higher the brix the better. You should be able to get close to 17%ABV using the right yeast making any fortification minimal. I don't personally believe in using grain spirits in any grape wine but its your wine. No need to age for more than a year in a barrel after that transfer back to glass or bottle and age for another year minimum.

This is all a matter of taste. In my opinion, ports have a taste that’s more than just wine bumped up to 20% ABV. I’ve made ports typically when I get a half gallon of leftover wine, throw in a few pieces of chocolate, bump the ABV with Everclear 190. I’ve tried Zin, Cab, Barolo, Syrah. Also made 3 gallon batches of blackberry. All are very good in my mind. There is no wrong answer.

Except 10 year aging before bottling. I think that’s a lot of time to elapse before you know if you’ve made anything good. Life’s too short to not taste what you’ve made.

Ha ha ya that’s why I want to make both a ruby for early drinking and a tawny for ten years down the road.

Since I’m using fresh grapes I was hopeful to make without adding sugar so I wanted to be more traditional and stop the fermentation with alcohol. Although I admit the type of alcohol isn’t ideal.

It all depends on what you're trying to make. Unless you can use the same grapes and reproduce the production conditions, you're not going to make a Port.

Nope, I'm not being negative -- I'm setting expectations.

Last December I took wine that was barrel aged for a year, bumped to 20% ABV with EverClear 151 (can't get 190 locally), and back sweetened. The intent was to produce something similar to vintage Port.

I failed. It didn't work. The result resembles Ruby Port.

Everyone who tasted it, loves it. So did I fail or did I succeed? It all depends on your POV.

I did not achieve my goal, but I had a positive result. It's not what I intended, but I like it. I will repeat this.

I may not be able to make exactly what they do for port but I hope to get close. I should be able to make a tawny just with the long term barrel aging.

It all depends on what you're trying to make. Unless you can use the same grapes and reproduce the production conditions, you're not going to make a Port.

Nope, I'm not being negative -- I'm setting expectations.

Last December I took wine that was barrel aged for a year, bumped to 20% ABV with EverClear 151 (can't get 190 locally), and back sweetened. The intent was to produce something similar to vintage Port.

I failed. It didn't work. The result resembles Ruby Port.

Everyone who tasted it, loves it. So did I fail or did I succeed? It all depends on your POV.

I did not achieve my goal, but I had a positive result. It's not what I intended, but I like it. I will repeat this.
When the audience applauds it’s success.

If the applause is like thunder, it’s time to go pro.

I'm thinking of going with 50% Touriga Nacional, 30-40% Cab Franc, and 10-20% Tempranillo. What say you all? Should I use different proportions or add something else that will add something to the wine? This will be my first time using a blend. I'm even tempted to go higher with the Touriga Nacional. Apparently 100 years ago or so in the Douro Valley in Portugal had 90% Touriga Nacional planted. I get the impression it's a good wine making grape but was reduced because it has lower yields. I can't get Touriga Franca but hopefully the cab franc fills in ok? I have to order tomorrow so one way or another I'll make up my mind. Hopefully someone can give a yay, nay or improvement. It sounds like many ports are random field blends too. So probably get something drinkable regardless.

That sounds fine. Try bench testing various blends to fine tune it.
I know you are right but I was hoping to not ferment separately since they will all be small batches. Well except the Touriga Nacional. I was considering 5+3+2 lugs or 5+4+1. In small proportions is seems like a filler not a serious addition. Maybe something they just want to get rid of. Am I way off base on that?

I know you are right but I was hoping to not ferment separately since they will all be small batches. Well except the Touriga Nacional. I was considering 5+3+2 lugs or 5+4+1. In small proportions is seems like a filler not a serious addition. Maybe something they just want to get rid of. Am I way off base on that?
IME pretty much any red Vinifera can be blended successfully. I have made field blends and all turned out good. Your ratios all sound fine. Trust your instincts, pick one, and go for it!

IME pretty much any red Vinifera can be blended successfully. I have made field blends and all turned out good. Your ratios all sound fine. Trust your instincts, pick one, and go for it!
Last question for tonight, I promise, but do you think going to 7-2-1 would be pushing too much? I liked the 100% cab sav so it might be perfectly fine.

Last question for tonight, I promise, but do you think going to 7-2-1 would be pushing too much? I liked the 100% cab sav so it might be perfectly fine.
Given the grapes you listed, IMO you can't make a bad choice. Every change in ratio will produce a different result, but all will be fine. Trust your instincts and roll the dice!

Latest posts

Back