Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like you should be hiking area that with a small spinning rod on your shoulder Bill,
Mike

In the group I often hike with there is one fellow that has brought along his pole and gotten some catches out of the forest streams. I haven't been interested in fishing since being a kid.

This morning's "Puppy Hike" found Sadie and I on a closed road running north-east from Hills Creek Rd., in Middlebury Center, PA, to Ives Run. The closed road runs roughly parallel to RT 287 to the west and Crooked Creek, which runs out of Hammond Lake, to the east. The closed road appears to be entirely within State Game Lands 37.

Bill, see any snakes? My brother just got back from our cabin and said our yard was just infested with water snakes (we are at least 50 ft above the creek, if not more). Our family only saw the lone milk snake, so just trying to figure out if it was a trend or we have a large supply of food in our yard all of a sudden.

We don't have a dog but he does, so he worries it will try to "play" with the snake, which is fine if it's a water snake but a copperhead could produce a less than desirable outcome.

Bill, see any snakes? My brother just got back from our cabin and said our yard was just infested with water snakes (we are at least 50 ft above the creek, if not more). Our family only saw the lone milk snake, so just trying to figure out if it was a trend or we have a large supply of food in our yard all of a sudden.

We don't have a dog but he does, so he worries it will try to "play" with the snake, which is fine if it's a water snake but a copperhead could produce a less than desirable outcome.

Yes, I have been seeing more snakes his season than last season but so far just the garden variety. I know dogs can get vaccinated against rattle and copperhead snake venom. Don't know whether or not the shots are really effective.

Yes, I have been seeing more snakes his season than last season but so far just the garden variety. I know dogs can get vaccinated against rattle and copperhead snake venom. Don't know whether or not the shots are really effective.

Have you had Sadie vaccinated? Never heard that you could do it but we haven't had a dog(s) for quite a few years (like 8 or 10 I think).

Have you had Sadie vaccinated? Never heard that you could do it but we haven't had a dog(s) for quite a few years (like 8 or 10 I think).

Not for snake bites. I'll want to do some research, talk to her vet and talk to the club hikers that hike with their dogs. One of the hikes I'd been on did have several of the dogs barking and lunging at a Timber rattlesnake before their owners were able to call them off. There was another hike in which a porcupine crossed our trail but seemed unfazed with the dogs getting on it. Once again the owners were able to call their dogs off. The porcupine never appeared to get defensive... it just kept walking away at a steady pace which I think was fortunate for the dogs.

Sadie has a long way to go before she'll be trusted to hike off leash.

We vaccinate our dogs as we have lots of rattlers at ou place. A few years back, one got bit. At my wife's urging we raced to the vet on Saturday evening. He said there wasn't much research to prove effectiveness and he had never had a dog bitten that had been vaccinated and the owner didn't chose to have anti venom as well. Smart doc he kept us talking for over an houabout it until he convinced us she was fine. So we didn't do the anti venom. Of course you results may vary, but she was fine. Swelling for a week or so and cute little scars on her nose, but she was fine.

We vaccinate every year. I figure it is cheap insurance for not having to argue why I'm not running red lights to get to the vet!

Latest posts

Back