New vines/stalled growth

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenderstrat

Junior
Reaction score
I'm looking for some help, please. I planted 5 merlot vines on April 16, 2023 that I bought from Grapevines Unlimited. All were prepped and planted in the exact same manner. As of today, four of the vines are growing nicely, with three of them already reaching above the top of the blue grow tubes (first photo). One vine has remained leafed-out, but has not grown more than 2 inches (second photo). They all get full sun and are irrigated every other day. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5786.jpg
    IMG_5786.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5784.jpg
    IMG_5784.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 0
This is tough, it could be as simple as that one traps water creating root damage or as complicated as an infection. I take young plants as a numbers game. In the garden center days some always failed. And that is why garden centers grow out cuttings.

Water every other day is a bit much. Let them dry out for a week or so. Leaf color looks good. I would trim the shoots down to just a couple and let it go. It could be that it doesn't like the soil. Some of my first year vines did not grow rapidly, but in year 2 they did quite well.
Can you take a picture of one of the leaves for us to see? It can help determine if there are nutrient defects.

I'm looking for some help, please. I planted 5 merlot vines on April 16, 2023 that I bought from Grapevines Unlimited. All were prepped and planted in the exact same manner. As of today, four of the vines are growing nicely, with three of them already reaching above the top of the blue grow tubes (first photo). One vine has remained leafed-out, but has not grown more than 2 inches (second photo). They all get full sun and are irrigated every other day. Any thoughts?
It's hard to tell due to the shadow and picture quality, but the leaves on that little one appear to be curling and I think I'm seeing some shriveling / burning on the right side of the pic. If that is the case it could be several possible causes, the first question is did you fertilize this vine? In my own personal experience, fertilizer in the first year can shock the plant, but not necessarily right when you applied it. I had a new vine I planted in January a few years back, I had applied fertilizer at bud break around March, it grew fine until sometime in April then all the leaves suddenly shriveled, dried up and fell off. I left it in the ground a few more weeks and noticed new growth coming out of the ground (which is fine as it is an own-rooted vine).

Here's what it looked like when it dried up. Then when the new growth came up (ignore the grass around it, I eventually took control of that). Finally here's a pic at present day, which is after 2 seasons of growth.

Attachments

• 2021-05-23 17.03.12.jpg
    2021-05-23 17.03.12.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 2021-06-29 11.15.21.jpg
    2021-06-29 11.15.21.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 16865251113444225724253678659168.jpg
    16865251113444225724253678659168.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts