Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built mine for ~ $100 and it'll do everything that Egg does and more. Holds 150+ pounds of meat max, if I wanna go big.

Last edited:

Labeled my blueberry and got it stored away. The carboy below is blackberry, the last 6 gallons of my 2016 vintages. The Vinotemp is full now (64 bottles), so I had to lay some of the blueberry up in the root cellar.

Finished up with a homebrew Mexican cerveza.

Velociraptor? :)

Definitely not a velociraptor, it has no teeth for tearing flesh. Couple small teeth in the front for nipping vegetation, big flat grinders in the back for chewing it up before heading down the tube. I'm betting its from a critter that would have been a tasty morsel, deer, elk, or the like.........

Definitely not a velociraptor, it has no teeth for tearing flesh. Couple small teeth in the front for nipping vegetation, big flat grinders in the back for chewing it up before heading down the tube. I'm betting its from a critter that would have been a tasty morsel, deer, elk, or the like.........

4 legs and a white tail, I'm guessing...

Did you buy?

My wife is pushing back...:(
They also have the Traeger untits that burn pellets at a much higher price....:sh

I really need a new grill. I have the "Kia" type of grill that I bought like 3 years ago as an emergency one day I had a party in my house and the old unit gave up....so the current one is a cheapo $150 webber (again to get me out of the woods that day of the party) and been using it since, but it ain't no Cadillac and is a pain to keep the flames even.

I really like the Traeger based on the infomercials that you set it and forget it, but wondering if that is really true...:ft

So, in summary I REALLY need to get me one but want something easy to use and no much baby sitting.....you guys are the experts so thoughts are welcome..:fsh

I would skip the Traeger IMHO. The reviews say it just will not reach searing temperature so if you want to do low and slow it works but lots of people are unhappy that it will not reach anything above about ~300-350. They have had replacement parts sent out under warranty and they made no difference, Also very small cooking area even if you pick the largest one which runs ~$800! :sh

I really like the Traeger based on the infomercials that you set it and forget it, but wondering if that is really true...:ft

So, in summary I REALLY need to get me one but want something easy to use and no much baby sitting.....you guys are the experts so thoughts are welcome..:fsh

Just saw I got an email from Costco with a section on BBQ and low and behold there is a new competitor for Traeger. Pit Boss! Same people that make the Kamado only their version is 43% BIGGER than the biggest Traeger and of course its $250 cheaper. No reviews of course as it looks to be brand new.

Pit-Boss Wood Pellet Grill

I gots a couple of questions.

Is it heavily insulated?

How do you control airflow.

What is valve for.

Here ya go, instructions on how to build one are in this with pix.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56091&highlight=barrel+smoker

It is not insulated and it doesn't need to be. Holds rock-steady temps, tested for 20+ hours now, depending on fuel supply. Close it up when done smoking and the fire goes out, saving fuel. Airflow is controlled via 4 pipe nipples around the bottom. When you get your temp set, you cap three of them and use the valve to control all air from that remaining one. The lid is from an old Weber grill (I just asked around and people gave me their old grills). Weber lids have a vent at top, also used to control the airflow.

Smoked goat ... OMG, HEAVEN!

Last edited:
Did you buy?

I would skip the Traeger IMHO. The reviews say it just will not reach searing temperature so if you want to do low and slow it works but lots of people are unhappy that it will not reach anything above about ~300-350. They have had replacement parts sent out under warranty and they made no difference, Also very small cooking area even if you pick the largest one which runs ~$800! :sh

At Costco there are now 3 Traeger, the new one is large and at a $1000.00 price tag... :sh

Plus their $799.99 Century unit.

Just saw I got an email from Costco with a section on BBQ and low and behold there is a new competitor for Traeger. Pit Boss! Same people that make the Kamado only their version is 43% BIGGER than the biggest Traeger and of course its $250 cheaper. No reviews of course as it looks to be brand new.

Pit-Boss Wood Pellet Grill

The ceramic Pit Boss I mentioned above in that picture costs $599.99 but online it shows $749.99 and I assume it is the same exact unit.

https://www.costco.com/Pit-Boss-Ceramic-BBQ-Grill-.product.100295951.html

So focusing on the Pit Boss....one thing I'm not liking is its weight, although it has wheels, but it is crazy HEAVY... LOL

Decisions, decisions again.....:(

That wood pellet grill from Pit Boss is not on display at my Costco and for obvious reason if the Traeger is on display...

Well that online price includes shipping and you know how freaking HEAVY that thing is. That is what makes it hold constant steady temp, the MASS.

I got mine home in the back of my old Expedition. It may have "fit" in my Honda Fit but decided to not even try as it's 100 miles back home if it didn't.

Costco loaded it into my truck. I was able to slide (ease) the Pit Boss Kamodo (still in the box) slowly down to the ground at the house. From there I was able to wheel it into the house using my Harbor Freight dollies. Wheeled it through the house and out the back door to the patio. Assembled the base/wheels and then Mrs IB and myself were able to pick up and set the ceramic pit (it comes assembled, top, bottom, hinge) into the base and that was basically it. Would have been even easier with two guys but didn't think we needed the extra help really, Still happy with the purchase and about ready to fire it up soon for the first time this Spring.

At Costco there are now 3 Traeger, the new one is large and at a $1000.00 price tag... :sh

Plus their $799.99 Century unit.

The ceramic Pit Boss I mentioned above in that picture costs $599.99 but online it shows $749.99 and I assume it is the same exact unit.

https://www.costco.com/Pit-Boss-Ceramic-BBQ-Grill-.product.100295951.html

So focusing on the Pit Boss....one thing I'm not liking is its weight, although it has wheels, but it is crazy HEAVY... LOL

Decisions, decisions again.....:(

Last edited:
@ibglowin

One good thing is that it doesn't need electricity to run like the wood pellet grills.
So I'm trying to research on the 2, the Komodo and the wood grills, and hoping Youtube would take me one way or another to make a final decision...

Latest posts

Back