Petit Sirah from Lanza Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed the "yes" to the dregs, I figured I knew the answer to the lending of kids.

Dregs will be bottled, capped and refrigerated in a sterilized beer bottle until I can get them to you. Was going to rack the Lanza Zin yesterday, but ran out of time (got into cooking and sampling too much). Planning on doing it tonight or tomorrow morning so I can get some more oak into it.

What days are you working this week? I gave my brother a bottle last night for my SIL, in a pinch, so he owes me a delivery, in my mind.

Working through Wednesday. We sampled the Eclipse OVZ over the weekend. Very young, tasty but needs more time. My wife's favorite is still the SLD Merlot. Time will tell. I think you'll like it.

Samples out for testing at the CEEaton Wine Lab. The wine gets a good stir ever 2 or 3 days. After this morning's stir, I did notice a lot of little shiny bubbles making their way to the top of the carboy (we're talking micro bubbles here). Not sure if that's a sign of activity or a byproduct of a good stir. Let's hope it's the former.

My PS is all but done with MLF (as is the Syrah). The cab and Zin are moving a little slower, but getting close. I will likely rack and stabilize all of them in about two weeks. Haven't tasted since press, but they are smelling quite nice.

I looked at my PS this morning, the last one left to complete MLF, I too noticed lots of tiny bubbles making their way up to the neck of the carboy. Unsure whether it is just releasing gas or MLF, but will be doing another chromo this weekend to see where every thing stands.

I expect to be sulfiting and moving both of the cabs to the wine room, as well as the merlot, and expect to have seen some progress on the PS.

Results are in and there doesn't seem to be any real movement.

I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

View attachment 32690

Firstly, don't cry in your Franc Burns, it ain't over yet, not by a long shot, when the going gets tough, the tough........well you get the inspirational pep talk stuff, right? Still early. Run through and revisit your parameters to see that they're in line, then just stay the course.......regular stirring, no sulfite, moderate temps at 70-75

Lol - I know, I know.

I hit it twice with white lab MLF. And, gave it some MLF nutrient a few weeks ago. I stir every couple days and keep the brew belt on it. Do I feed it any more nutrient (first dose was only 1.2g)? I don't think I want to dose it again with MLF. But, it might be okay.. I don't know.

Refresh my memory: what are you pH and ABV? Ambient temp?

Again, mixed reviews on the White Lab bacteria. I'd encourage you to look into CH35 - it is geared to work in difficult conditions (ie low pH and high ABV). It will only add about $1/bottle to the cost of this batch and has cranked along with my PS.

Lol - I know, I know.

I hit it twice with white lab MLF. And, gave it some MLF nutrient a few weeks ago. I stir every couple days and keep the brew belt on it. Do I feed it any more nutrient (first dose was only 1.2g)? I don't think I want to dose it again with MLF. But, it might be okay.. I don't know.

I've not used the White Lab MLB, and in my research found lots of folks who do well with it, and others who have had struggles getting it to finish. It seems as though the workhorse MLB's are VP41, CH35, and Beta, although I've no personal experience with the latter two.

Can't recall where you are in the time line, but perhaps consider a different strain. I left my Lanza PS at Brix 24.9, which is kinda up there on the tolerance line, if yours is the same, maybe one that can handle some higher ABV than your current one.

I also pitched my MLB just after AF started, so it got established while the ABV was near zero and worked along with the increasing ABV instead of getting pitched into a higher ABV environment, if that even makes a difference???

Refresh my memory: what are you pH and ABV? Ambient temp?

Again, mixed reviews on the White Lab bacteria. I'd encourage you to look into CH35 - it is geared to work in difficult conditions (ie low pH and high ABV). It will only add about $1/bottle to the cost of this batch and has cranked along with my PS.

I haven't measured Ph since pressing. I'll have to look back in this thread or, hopefully, Craig has it handy. IIRC the Ph was in a nice range and the ABV was just shy of around 15%.

It's in a cool basement, with the brewbelt on, so the temps stay above 75* F in the carboy. I stirred again this morning and (again) saw the micro-bubbles. I will look into other strains of MLB.

After pressing: pH 3.73, TA 6.7g/L.

You could always send a sample and I could test again, doubt it has changed much. I think I still have the small seal-able container you gave me to bring home and test after I got my new meter (if I remember correctly the new meter was in the mail due to arrive within a few days).

16 is good for high ABV, as you said. 35 is geared more toward high acid (ie: low pH), but can still tolerate 14% ABV.

I put in an order on some VP41 dry MLB. It will get here next week and we'll dose and see what happens.

Anyone have any suggestions on making sure this one takes?

Sorry, been away, kids you know...

Good choice on bacteria, that is the standard bullet proof version, that's why it's more expensive, IMHO. Did you order any Acti-ML to rehydrate it in? It is supposed to help in:

Acti-ML is a Malolactic nutrient used during rehydration of both direct inoculation and standard-type Malolactic Bacteria strains. It is a specific blend of inactive yeasts rich in amino acids, mineral cofactors and vitamins. These inactive yeasts are mixed with cellulose to provide more surface area to help keep the bacteria in suspension. Acti-ML can help strengthen the development of bacteria growth under difficult conditions.

This just happens to be your lucky day if you didn't order any and want to use it. I ordered one too many packages from MoreWinemaking.com and have it sittin' right here. I can give to Steve to deliver on Monday, if he's actually working that day. Or I can just drop it in a standard letter and you'll probably get it Monday or Tuesday, since all my mail goes to Lancaster, just for fun. Just lemme know!

Sorry, been away, kids you know...

Good choice on bacteria, that is the standard bullet proof version, that's why it's more expensive, IMHO. Did you order any Acti-ML to rehydrate it in? It is supposed to help in:

Acti-ML is a Malolactic nutrient used during rehydration of both direct inoculation and standard-type Malolactic Bacteria strains. It is a specific blend of inactive yeasts rich in amino acids, mineral cofactors and vitamins. These inactive yeasts are mixed with cellulose to provide more surface area to help keep the bacteria in suspension. Acti-ML can help strengthen the development of bacteria growth under difficult conditions.

This just happens to be your lucky day if you didn't order any and want to use it. I ordered one too many packages from MoreWinemaking.com and have it sittin' right here. I can give to Steve to deliver on Monday, if he's actually working that day. Or I can just drop it in a standard letter and you'll probably get it Monday or Tuesday, since all my mail goes to Lancaster, just for fun. Just lemme know!

The VP is due in a week. I struggled with whether to order the Acti-ML. I didn't pull the trigger on it. So, yes! I would be happy to take the extra off your hands.

Shine a light on it. Do you see the tiny bubbles rising? Could just be degassing, but it could be MLF. My PS took a few weeks before I had any visible bubbles. The Zin and cab even longer.

Latest posts

Back