Petit Sirah from Lanza Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The second option. Will need to look at the notes, but maybe the Bravado could use some vanilla and roasted coffee in the background.

All I know is when I retrieved an ounce yesterday from the bag, I had to wash the carbon off of my hands. It actually forced me to use the soap at the sink, the nerve of that oak.

All I know is when I retrieved an ounce yesterday from the bag, I had to wash the carbon off of my hands. It actually forced me to use the soap at the sink, the nerve of that oak.

Carbon? That's crazy.

I'll pull some samples tomorrow. Hopefully your brother is in the office. I should email him tonight to make sure.

The added oak is settling nicely. I'm hoping that the warmer temps in the carboy did something nice for the MLF. I'd really like to rack this one soon.

Carbon? That's crazy.

I'll pull some samples tomorrow. Hopefully your brother is in the office. I should email him tonight to make sure.

The added oak is settling nicely. I'm hoping that the warmer temps in the carboy did something nice for the MLF. I'd really like to rack this one soon.

I would assume when you char wood (ie. oak barrel) you would get a carbon byproduct.

Will start the test tonight, my brother emailed me and said you had dropped off the samples.

I find that it's just as easy to make full bottles disappear as it to make them appear and usually a trip to the cellar results in an occurrence of both with a smile :)

Cheers,
johann

I should give him a bottle or two to show my appreciation for him being my wine mule. :h

He doesn't like wine, he'll taste test it, but he's a beer kinda guy. His better half is into wine, she loves the Pinot Grigio so much that he's contracting me to make a batch for him to give her (as a surprise). I'll give him a White Zin bottle or three when that gets done, up to me to pay him back, not you. I can take him over to Moe's for dinner (hot wings) after work some time and foot the bill, he'd like that.

He just texted, the samples have arrived, I just need to go retrieve them.

Edit: got 'em, samples drying on the paper so I can soak it over night in the nastiness. He liked the Moe's idea (I think they have 18 types of wings).

Last edited:
Nope. No change over 6 weeks. That's disappointing...

Okay - suggestions? I think I'm going to hit the PS again with an MLB tonight. The chard, which didn't have much malic acid to begin with, will get a dose of kmeta (I'm done messing with it).

Last edited:
So, I picked up something called Leucofood from my LHBS. It's supposed to be a nutrient for MLB. Since I haven't seen much of anything to signify an active MLF, I'm going to dose it with some food tonight. We'll see what happens.

So, I picked up something called Leucofood from my LHBS. It's supposed to be a nutrient for MLB. Since I haven't seen much of anything to signify an active MLF, I'm going to dose it with some food tonight. We'll see what happens.

Where were they hiding that? Can't say I've ever seen it before, and I normally browse the store to get ideas. Hopefully it will get that MLF jump started.

Another possible thought, though it is fraught with danger...I could give you some of the lees from my Zin or Cab Franc batch which I used CH16 in, or was it CH35?....either way, maybe that might work??

Update - I stirred again this morning and there was a good bit of tiny bubbles making their way to the top. That settled down after about 10 minutes. The brewbelt has been on most of the day and the wine temp is about 80* F last time I checked. There's a nice ring of bubbles at the top of the carboy, too. Not sure that's good or bad. Just hoping for the best.

Update - I stirred again this morning and there was a good bit of tiny bubbles making their way to the top. That settled down after about 10 minutes. The brewbelt has been on most of the day and the wine temp is about 80* F last time I checked. There's a nice ring of bubbles at the top of the carboy, too. Not sure that's good or bad. Just hoping for the best.

Just ran a chromo on all my fall stuff, the Lanza PS is the slowest, most others already done. The PS may just be slow, stick with it.

Just ran a chromo on all my fall stuff, the Lanza PS is the slowest, most others already done. The PS may just be slow, stick with it.

I'm a worrier... I know - not a good thing in winemaking. But, how long is too long? It's been two months and I'm concerned I haven't kmeta'ed the wine yet.

I was at the LHBS yesterday and asked about the nutrient - what to expect. He said that I was the first to try it and he's interested to know the answer to that question, too. That wasn't helpful.

Last edited:
I'm a worrier... I know - not a good thing in winemaking. But, how long is too long? It's been two months and I'm concerned I haven't kmeta'ed the wine yet.

I was at the LHBS yesterday and asked about the nutrient - what to expect. He said that I was the first to try it and he's interested to know the answer to that question, too. That wasn't helpful.

I went four months on the Chileans before I finally sulfited, really no problems at all, other than the fact that it never completed, but that's another story. Just keep it at 70-75, and keep stirring. If you haven't seen any progress by next chromo, blame @ceeaton for getting you into this mess and make him get you some new MLB. Chuckle, chuckle, just kidding, give it time, mine is slow as well, despite everything else being done.

In short, its not too long.

(I still haven't sulfited two of the four Chileans I have going.) :sh

I went four months on the Chileans before I finally sulfited, really no problems at all, other than the fact that it never completed, but that's another story. Just keep it at 70-75, and keep stirring. If you haven't seen any progress by next chromo, blame @ceeaton for getting you into this mess and make him get you some new MLB. Chuckle, chuckle, just kidding, give it time, mine is slow as well, despite everything else being done.

I offered him dregs of my Zin batch that used CH16, and I'd lend him some of my kids to help stir as long as he kept them at his place, what more can a guy do?

My responses were "Yes, please!" and "No, thankyouverymuch!" respectively.

I missed the "yes" to the dregs, I figured I knew the answer to the lending of kids.

Dregs will be bottled, capped and refrigerated in a sterilized beer bottle until I can get them to you. Was going to rack the Lanza Zin yesterday, but ran out of time (got into cooking and sampling too much). Planning on doing it tonight or tomorrow morning so I can get some more oak into it.

What days are you working this week? I gave my brother a bottle last night for my SIL, in a pinch, so he owes me a delivery, in my mind.

Back