Petit Sirah from Lanza Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay, I was out and about for most of the day, then we got a nasty line of T-Storms which made me change dinner from burgers and dogs to fried chicken fingers and fish (inside the garage, away from most of the heavy rain). I think we got about 3/4 inch of rain in about 45 minutes.

10-30-16_Chromo-scanned.jpg

Last edited:
My PS from 2015 still needs another two years probably to tame the tannins. It shows great promise though. Hard to taste the wine when one sip drys your mouth.

Jim, watch your high temps. I went back through the whole thread and couldn't see what MLB you selected, but cut and pasted the following from the Lallemand site on VP-41, noting that your wine is around 15%:

"Carefully monitor must temperature, which must be below 86 °F at lactic acid bacteria inoculation (alcohol < 5%vol) and below 80.6 °F when the level of 10 % of alcohol is reached"

Just don't let 'er heat up too much!!

Jim, watch your high temps. I went back through the whole thread and couldn't see what MLB you selected, but cut and pasted the following from the Lallemand site on VP-41, noting that your wine is around 15%:

"Carefully monitor must temperature, which must be below 86 °F at lactic acid bacteria inoculation (alcohol < 5%vol) and below 80.6 °F when the level of 10 % of alcohol is reached"

Just don't let 'er heat up too much!!

Thanks for the heads up. It was the White Labs WL675. The instructions give a minimum (55* F), but no max that I can see. I know others have had difficulty getting an MLF done with WL MLB, but it was all I could get my hands on.

It's about 79*. If it gets any warmer, I'll pull the plug and let it cool a bit.

Thanks for the heads up. It was the White Labs WL675. The instructions give a minimum (55* F), but no max that I can see. I know others have had difficulty getting an MLF done with WL MLB, but it was all I could get my hands on.

It's about 79*. If it gets any warmer, I'll pull the plug and let it cool a bit.

Gotcha, just wanted to give you a heads up just in case.............

The wine edged slightly about the 80* mark. So, I unplugged the brew belt. In retrospect, I should have just pulled it off and attached it to the bucket of rose that I have going now. But, the basement is pretty warm because of the unseasonably high temps outside. With temps in the mid-50's all next week, I'm thinking I may have to plug it back in eventually - want to keep it in the mid to upper 70's.

The wine edged slightly about the 80* mark. So, I unplugged the brew belt. In retrospect, I should have just pulled it off and attached it to the bucket of rose that I have going now. But, the basement is pretty warm because of the unseasonably high temps outside. With temps in the mid-50's all next week, I'm thinking I may have to plug it back in eventually - want to keep it in the mid to upper 70's.

I already know the answer to this one, but I'll float it anyway. You could take it upstairs and place it right next to the couch and emulate @Johnd 's decor? Be warmer up there in the TV room than downstairs?

Since I was down in the wine room comparing three kits, I didn't want the ps to feel left out.

It's been in the glass 10 minutes to allow some of the heat (alcohol) to dissipate.

Fullest bodied wine I've ever made. So dark, it might stain my insides. Blueberry nose is prevalent. Dark chocolate and berry flavor. Tannic, but softer than it was.

I think the brew belt over the last week may have helped. Hoping anyway.

Question: I'm thinking of adding another 60 grams of oak. Do it now? In aging? Or, no way, the 60 gr. I dropped already is enough?

Well, is there any still in it now? How does it taste? You know it is gonna age for quite some time, so you have time for the oak to die back a bit. 2 oz (56 grams) is the recommended starting point for 5 gallons of wine, and you like the oak monster, so add it and use it as an excuse to taste it every week or so to monitor the oak's progress.

Just move the cubes over when you Kmeta and rack when MLF is done.

Well, is there any still in it now? How does it taste? You know it is gonna age for quite some time, so you have time for the oak to die back a bit. 2 oz (56 grams) is the recommended starting point for 5 gallons of wine, and you like the oak monster, so add it and use it as an excuse to taste it every week or so to monitor the oak's progress.

Just move the cubes over when you Kmeta and rack when MLF is done.

There's 60 gr of oak in it right now. That's what I was thinking , too. [emoji41]

There's 60 gr of oak in it right now. That's what I was thinking , too. [emoji41]

What are you adding? Remember I have a bag of American M+ cubes, 1 lb worth, 16 oz...have 15 oz at this point. Bag has a built in seal so I think they will remain fresh for some time. Just opened it yesterday, so they're still fresh. Yell if you need a few ounces, or a quarter or a half a pound. Am M+, vanilla baby!

Don't know what I was drinking when I ordered those, but I need to find another bottle of that since I was obviously feeling pretty darn good.

Back