Petit Sirah from Lanza Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really kinda giddy at the notion that the MLF is actually happening.

The whole process kinda makes you giddy, doesn't it? I mean, you just took raw grapes, and have made them into wine. And that wine is getting better each day.

Aaaaaaaand the bubbles have stopped. Other than when the wine gets its stir - I'm not seeing any activity. Going to give it a taste this morning (which is perfectly normal) and see if anything has changed.

Don't be surprised if it is done. That CH16 is some really mean stuff. I plan on that being my go to MLB until it lets me down. Remember, my Lanza Zin was done in 10 days, at least that is when I tested it, could have been done before that. And the temperature was pretty low (below 65*F). If the bubbles aren't showing up in the next few days, send a sample home with my Brother and we'll do a comparative test against the last sample. If it shows no movement you can pitch the VP41 and not waste too much more time.

Don't be surprised if it is done. That CH16 is some really mean stuff. I plan on that being my go to MLB until it lets me down. Remember, my Lanza Zin was done in 10 days, at least that is when I tested it, could have been done before that. And the temperature was pretty low (below 65*F). If the bubbles aren't showing up in the next few days, send a sample home with my Brother and we'll do a comparative test against the last sample. If it shows no movement you can pitch the VP41 and not waste too much more time.

I stirred this afternoon and got some bubble-age. Still a little going on about 7 hours later. I'm hoping that's the case. That it's pretty much done and I can dose, rack and set it aside a while.

Oh, here's a question - I have 2.25 liters in the bottle that hasn't been tested at all. What do I do about that?

Let's plan a test maybe Thursday.

Oh, here's a question - I have 2.25 liters in the bottle that hasn't been tested at all. What do I do about that?

Well, do you have two syringes? Just mark them "A" and "B" or "1" and "2" or "Red" and "Green" or something along those lines, and I'll test it beside the others. You've seen some of @Johnd and @Boatboy24 's tests, they can fit 20 or so on a sheet, I think three will fit just fine!

As far as the 2 1/4 Litres, did you add any of the slurry I gave you to that one? If not I'd siphon some lees from your big carboy and add it to the smaller one and see if any activity occurs. You can also siphon off 2 1/4 litres into another container and add the non-tested 2 /14 litre stuff to the big carboy. If MLF is truly happening to the big carboy, it will eat the malic in that 2.25 litres as an after dinner snack.

Last edited:
And the results are in....

Early PN (center of sheet) is original sample from the 11-29-16 test.
PN1 - from the big carboy
PN2 - from the bottle

Looking good Billy Ray! Feeling good Louis!

I'd give it a week or so to make sure it is complete (complete on this type of test is 30 ppm or lower), or maybe longer since you added the bottle still full of the malic.

Note to self, don't put wet test sheet in garage to drip dry (before hanging in basement) when it is 10*F outside.

12-16-16_Chromo.jpg

So, I pulled a 1.5 out of the carboy and then poured the old (malic acid filled) bottle in to the carboy. Given the headspace left, I poured most of the half bottle in too.

The rest made for a nice taste at 9:00 this morning. :db

I'll wait two weeks at least before sulfiting the wine in the carboy - let the MLF finish up. I did add a little Kmeta solution to the new bottle to ensure there were at least some sulfites in there.

The wine is less active now. Co2 really only turns out when I stir it.

Almost swooped down today, was up in Lemoyne and realized Scotzins was closed for the day. Two of my five stops were unproductive. I also remembered your earlier post saying you didn't want to test until January 7th. So I went to the Giant and headed home, disappointed.

Almost swooped down today, was up in Lemoyne and realized Scotzins was closed for the day. Two of my five stops were unproductive. I also remembered your earlier post saying you didn't want to test until January 7th. So I went to the Giant and headed home, disappointed.

Awwww. I was just down racking the Super Tuscan and washing bottles today. Got lots of diamonds out of the ST.

My brother dropped off a sample of wine. Is this from the big batch with the small batch added? And should I use the original sample I still have as a comparison?

My brother dropped off a sample of wine. Is this from the big batch with the small batch added? And should I use the original sample I still have as a comparison?

Sorry - got busy and meant to warn you it was coming. It's from the carboy with the 1.5 swapped in/out. Yes, I think the original for comparison would be fine.

Sorry - got busy and meant to warn you it was coming. It's from the carboy with the 1.5 swapped in/out. Yes, I think the original for comparison would be fine.

And the results are in. I was originally worried I'd have to rerun the test. Left it out in the garage and it was colder than I expected. Got home to a dry yellow sheet, and thought sh*t, I've gotta rerun this bugger. Brought it into the warmth inside, have a place in the basement where a register blows directly on it, and within three hours I got this image. Looks pretty done to me. Hard to get the right exposure, I prefer to take shots of these sheets in the daylight.

Oh, PS1 was one of the earlier samples done 11-28-16, PS2 is the newest one.

12-30-16_chomo.jpg

Latest posts

Back