New Rhubarb

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN_Winemaker

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and to making wine. I purchased a beginners kit from my local supply bus. and using recipe included. Using my fruit I had in freezer to use for this purpose.

I started out with 5# Rhubarb, 2lb sugar, 1 campden, 1/2oz Precip Chalk, 1/2 tsp pectric enzyme - after 3 days SG was 1.120 (Seemed a little higher than what I wanted. I was looking for about 1.095.

I added 1/4 cup of wht grape concentrate, 7 pts water, 1/4 tsp tannin, 1 tsp nutrient . SG now at 1.054 . Added Montrachet yeast and it appears to have started working.

Next step says: Stir daily and transfer to glass secondary when SG at 1.040 (3-5 days).

Let me know what details I have forgotten. Any comments/questions people have on what this looks like so far will be appreciated.

Bob

Bob if you started at 1.054 then that will give you around 7% ABV. Too low for longevity. I personally ferment to dry in my primary, then rack. Remove your rhubarb when s.g. gets to 1.020-1.015

Stir at least twice daily and push down your rhubarb. Stir more often will be better. Keep a lid (loosely) on your primary or some sort of mesh covering.

Check out on the Home page the Tutorial section. I've been adding these over the last few weeks. You can get some answers there. More to come though.

I agree with Steve that you are going to have a low abv. I would add more sugar to get you sg. up to 1.08. I transfer to a secondary around 1.015 and add an air lock.

Thanks - I added about 1 1/2 cups more sugar and got it up to 1.08. Let the fermenting in primary continue. I hope I did not screw things up too bad.

I did a rhubarb a long time ago and it turned out great - looked like a blush. I actually bottled it as champagne and it was excellent. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back