must sweet as syrup and stuck

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcaret

Reaction score
I started some manchu berries fermenting over a month ago in a pail with lid set on top ,( not tight ) I checked the sg a couple of weeks ago and found it around 1.07 so I added sugar , it came to 1.06 I tasted it ,it was like pure sugar so I added a couple of litres of water , then a few days later some yeast and now I checked the sg its 1.06 still , and the yeast I added dissapeared , no foam at all. After I added the yeast I noticed a little foam the next day , so today I dumped the rest of the jar of yeast in probably 3 tablespoons. Any idea what I should do if this oesn't work ??
Thanks , Neil

I am a little confused.

Your SG was 1.070 and you added sugar and the SG went down? This should have raised your SG not lowered it. Then added water to it.

This should have been initially to get your SG between 1.080-1.090.

Adding that much water probably diluted the flavor as well.

A month in the primary - sound like you just had a stuck fermentation - you probably could have just added in a yeast starter to get things moving again.

Have you been stirring the must?

How many gallons are you making? 3 tablespoons of yeast is a lot if your doing a 5-6 gallon batch..

I'm doing about 3 gallons. Oh yeah I forgot I already strained all the pulp off and only have liquid left . Thats when I checked the sg.
I meant when the sg went from 1.07 to 1.06 there were was a couple of days in between. Maybe I should dump a couple of cans of grape juice in . It does taste a little weak .

I would wait until you are finished fermenting.

Then you can add stabilize it and add some concentrate, f-pac, or blend it.

What was your starting S.G., pH, TA? If pH/TA are off that could stall a ferment right quick. Was there anything else you used in this wine: enzymes, SO2--if so, when were they added and what amount? You mention yeast from a jar---what kind of yeast is this, any chance it is expired? After a month of just sitting in the primary with little to no activity is the juice oxidized?

When you say "manchu berry", do you mean:
Prunus tomentosa aka Korean cherry, Manchu cherry, Downy cherry, Shanghai cherry, Ando cherry, Mountain cherry, Chinese Bush cherry, Chinese Dwarf cherry, or Hansen's Bush Cherry ??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back