Stuck apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesley

Junior
Reaction score
I made some apple wine to the same recipe I've used for years. It didn't fill the carboy, so 2 weeks later I made a smaller quantity and added it to the 1st batch. After some weeks I noticed it wasn't fermenting, took the SG and was surprised to find it at it at 1080 and tasting sweet. I took a small quantity of it, added sugar, nutrient and yeast, but it never started fermenting. I started up another yeast with some orange juice sugar and yeast, which fermented well. after a couple of days I added a small amount of the stuck wine, and the next day fermentation had stopped. Any ideas as to why or what I can do? Original batch was 3.5 gallons started at 1150, 2nd batch was 1.5 gallons started at 1092. I didn't think to take the SG of either batch when I added the 2nd.

Welcome to WMT!

An OG of 1.150 is really high, over 34 brix. What yeast are you using? If you used a low ABV tolerant strain, it's done.

What is the SG now?

I suggest you make an overnight starter with Lalvin EC-1118, the way I do it is here. If you are fermenting in a carboy, move to an open bucket, covered with a towel. Yeast wants O2 for reproduction and being inside a closed container inhibits it.

For future reference, start with an OG of 1.100 to 1.105, to avoid problems. The yeast strain used can make a huge difference.

I made some apple wine to the same recipe I've used for years. It didn't fill the carboy, so 2 weeks later I made a smaller quantity and added it to the 1st batch. After some weeks I noticed it wasn't fermenting, took the SG and was surprised to find it at it at 1080 and tasting sweet. I took a small quantity of it, added sugar, nutrient and yeast, but it never started fermenting. I started up another yeast with some orange juice sugar and yeast, which fermented well. after a couple of days I added a small amount of the stuck wine, and the next day fermentation had stopped. Any ideas as to why or what I can do? Original batch was 3.5 gallons started at 1150, 2nd batch was 1.5 gallons started at 1092. I didn't think to take the SG of either batch when I added the 2nd.
Did the first batch start fermenting before you added the second batch? Did you use apples or juice? It sounds like a juice that contained potassium sorbate, potassium sulfate or sodium benzoate. Any of those will prohibit fermentation. It is possible juice contains preservatives that are not listed on the label.

Did the first batch start fermenting before you added the second batch? Did you use apples or juice? It sounds like a juice that contained potassium sorbate, potassium sulfate or sodium benzoate. Any of those will prohibit fermentation. It is possible juice contains preservatives that are not listed on the label.

This is my best guess.

I used real apples. The 1st batch had fermented for almost 4 weeks when I added the 2nd.

Welcome to WMT!

An OG of 1.150 is really high, over 34 brix. What yeast are you using? If you used a low ABV tolerant strain, it's done.

What is the SG now?

I suggest you make an overnight starter with Lalvin EC-1118, the way I do it is here. If you are fermenting in a carboy, move to an open bucket, covered with a towel. Yeast wants O2 for reproduction and being inside a closed container inhibits it.

For future reference, start with an OG of 1.100 to 1.105, to avoid problems. The yeast strain used can make a huge difference.
Hi, I used Lalvin D47 yeast. The SG now is 1080. Maybe you're right and the 1st batch had almost fermented out which made the alcohol content too high and the yeast in the 2nd batch died when I added it. But I don't understand why my new starters haven't worked. I'll try what you suggest and keep it more open to oxygen, thanks.

Hi, I used Lalvin D47 yeast. The SG now is 1080. Maybe you're right and the 1st batch had almost fermented out which made the alcohol content too high and the yeast in the 2nd batch died when I added it. But I don't understand why my new starters haven't worked. I'll try what you suggest and keep it more open to oxygen, thanks.
D47 is listed as having a 14% alcohol tolerance, so it's likely the ABV is at that limit. Adding another starter of D47 will not help.

IMO, you have 2 choices:

1) inoculate with a strain that has a higher alcohol tolerance, such as EC-1118. This still may not ferment out dry, and the wine will be very strong. However, backsweetening with apple juice will reduce the ABV.

2) Dilute with apple juice, which IIRC has a SG in the 1.040 to 1.050 range. If I did the math correctly, you'll need 3 to 4 gallons of juice to bring the average OG down to a reasonable level.

For future reference, don't just follow a recipe -- use your hydrometer and add sugar judiciously. 1 pound of sugar will raise the SG of 1 US gallon of water from 1.000 to 1.045. Depending on the SG of apple juice, 1 pound added to 1 gallon will produce a FG in the 1.085 to 1.095 range.

With fruit it helps to soak overnight to leach sugar out of the fruit into the water, then add sugar.

Something to consider -- a lot of recipes, especially old ones, are a record of what worked, not what is best.

Last edited:
I've ordered some EC 118 and will try that. A strong sweet wine will be fine for an after dinner drink.
I do always leave my apples in water for a week or so before straining and then adding sugar, and add approx the amount of sugar I have used other years because it takes time to add it gradually and measure the SG. What happened this year I think is that the apples gave less juice than usual and I didn't realize and added the usual quantity of sugar. I'll be more careful next time. Thanks for your good advice.

Latest posts

Back