Juice from L'uva Bella

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't bother to check the ph and acid but here are my initial SG readings from the juice we picked up on Saturday;

Pinot Noir 1.098 (already fermenting when picked up)
Malvasia Blanc 1.096 and 1.094
White Zinfandel 1.104
Johnesberg Reisling 1.098

As of last night the Pinot Noir was fermenting away nicely with a nice foamy head on it. It was fermenting prior to picking up as the lid was bubbled significantly. The other juices were showing no signs of active fermentation as of 4:00 yesterday afternoon. Not too concerned as they haven't been at temperature long. Will stir when I get home from work and again tonight.

Everything has very happy little yeasties in it now. When I checked the Pinot Noir on Monday night it was down to 1.050 already and the whites have all taken off nicely. Been stirring every day after work and before bed. Will likely be transferring to carboys next week sometime. Guess I need to make another bench soon. Looks like I'll be picking up 3-4 more buckets of juice in the near future.

We may be back over there Saturday.

I assume the White Zinfandel will pink up through the fermentation process. Right now it is as red as the Pinot Noir I picked up.

Leaving for Topsail, NC on Friday so I can't pick up my Pinot Noir, Muscato and Sauvignon Blanc until Monday, September 12.

Going back down Friday for another Cab Merlot

I'm heading down tomorrow afternoon myself. Getting a White Merlot for the one empty 'boy I've got at the moment. I've got 2 more pickups scheduled over the next 6 weeks, and the possibility of a another one shaping up.

Maybe so! Depends how long your lunch goes... I'm planning to get there around 3:30.

Maybe so! Depends how long your lunch goes... I'm planning to get there around 3:30.

I got there today about 1:20 and picked up the cab merlot. It was fermenting when I got home. Tonight I racked the lambrusco and White Zin I got last Friday. The lambrusco was at .993 and the whit zin was 1.023. I stirred up the sediment and yeast pretty good before racking to help prevent a stuck fermentation. My whites are still around 1.04-1.05 as I am cold fermenting them.

I need to email Luva Bella today and place an order for 2 more buckets. Going to try to head back up Saturday to pick up. Going to do a Reisling and a Sav Blanc for my nieces wedding I think.

You guys plan on adding anything to bump up the tannin level at some point on your reds?

I haven't done anything as of yet. I only started juice last year. Hopefully others will chime in.

Last edited:
They will probably need some finishing tannins of sorts down the road. Plenty of time to do some taste test and then decide if they need a bit more of a "kick" finish wise on the pallet.

Went to Luva Bella and picked up 3 mor buckets today. These will be for my nieces wedding. A johanesberg reisling, a sauvignon blanc and a ruby cabernet.

Picked up my three buckets (Pinot Noir, Muscato and Sauvignon Blanc) from L'uva Bella winery today. Stirred them, added bentonite and strapped on brew belts to warm them up.

Thed juice we picked up Saturday was fermenting nicely last night. Just got home from work and gave them a little stir again. These will be bulk aged for the better part of a year. Then I'll bottle some in 375 ml bottles so we can sample as they progress.

Picked up my three buckets (Pinot Noir, Muscato and Sauvignon Blanc) from L'uva Bella winery today. Stirred them, added bentonite and strapped on brew belts to warm them up.

Hi Mike:

We finally tried your Strawberry Zinfandel wine from the last trade. My wife & I both liked it very much. Was this from a kit??? Tasted very good on the rocks!!

Al

Hi Mike:

We finally tried your Strawberry Zinfandel wine from the last trade. My wife & I both liked it very much. Was this from a kit??? Tasted very good on the rocks!!

Al

Thanks Al! Yes it was a kit. It was the RJS Orchard Breezin, Strawberry White Zinfandel. I bumped up the SG to 1.080 with sugar at the beginning. I added the entire sweetening blend after fermenting to dry (.993). The ABV came out to around 11.6%. It was actually the first wine I bottled. It's a little sweet for my palate but most have said they like it. Thanks again!!

Thanks Al! Yes it was a kit. It was the RJS Orchard Breezin, Strawberry White Zinfandel. I bumped up the SG to 1.080 with sugar at the beginning. I added the entire sweetening blend after fermenting to dry (.993). The ABV came out to around 11.6%. It was actually the first wine I bottled. It's a little sweet for my palate but most have said they like it. Thanks again!!

Mike I also made that kit and thought it had to much of a jolly rancher taste to it. I blended the rest of the bottles I had of it with Rhubarb I got at walkers and that made an awesome combination.

So that's why you didn't take a bottle when I offered it to you. LOL :b

Latest posts

Back