It'll be here before you know it

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skipping the Spring harvest really did you in, didn't it! Next time you move get a bucket or two and rent some industrial freezer space to store it until you can make it.

Sooooo.... the grapes and buckets are live but when I try to purchase, the cart doesn't show up. They stated that the site would be live Friday-ish and they'd send a mass email notification.

Yeah, something is funky. If you log in, add the grapes and click on Check out when the message

You have successfully added Central Valley Merlot to your cart. Checkout

shows up over the item you added, you will get to a place you can order. So I did that, removed the items, now I can't figure out how to log out.

Now you can checkout. The only way I see to get to your cart is right after you add something, you'll see a green box stating "You have successfully added Central Valley Zinfandel old vine (Lodi) to your cart. Checkout," and click on the word Checkout.

Just got an email from Hardford a few minutes ago. Sounds like everything is rush, rush with delivery expected to start in mid-September.

Glad they took so long, I would have ordered from them by now and wouldn't have any dough to get the grapes from this local vineyard I stumbled on.

I still haven't ordered. I'm going to try the Lanza grapes this year. I've been doing the Amador gold the last few years (usually Oct delivery) and have been very happy with them, but want to try something different. I'm just waiting to hear back from them regarding advice on timing. I can only make one trip (two hours each way), so I want to confirm that there's at least a decent chance that the Cab Sauv, Syrah, and Petite Sirah I want will come in at the same time.

I kind of wondered about that. When I talked to them this Spring it seemed as though the grapes trickle in over the span of a month or so. I assume that the first shipment has the buckets, but that may be assuming too much?

Where do the buckets come from, the Central Valley? Or are they from many locations? In a way the Chilean thing is nice even if the juice/fruit is older from hanging out on a ship for a few weeks, seems as though they get that in one big delivery, or at least they did this year.

The site is live and working properly.

I ordered juices from California and Italy, and grapes from Central Valley and Maryland - I am sure I'll be making four trips. :) But it's worth it to me to get the exact stuff I want at a good price.

Luckily, they are really nice and I always buy some of their wine when I go by. They're so accommodating about pickup that they open up on weeknights for me to go there after work.

Heather

I'll agree. Teresa is such a nice person. My wife loves their wines and I think is a bit disappointed we aren't going down this fall. I promised her I'd order buckets and grapes in the Spring, especially if she helps pay for them!

BTW, Heather, how long's your round trip?

I still haven't ordered. I'm going to try the Lanza grapes this year. I've been doing the Amador gold the last few years (usually Oct delivery) and have been very happy with them, but want to try something different. I'm just waiting to hear back from them regarding advice on timing. I can only make one trip (two hours each way), so I want to confirm that there's at least a decent chance that the Cab Sauv, Syrah, and Petite Sirah I want will come in at the same time.

M&M started receiving grapes today but I think Pinot Noir only from Suisun Valley, which is the same zone where Lanza produces their grapes.

Those prices seem a bit higher compared to last year. I remember I bought Amador for around $52 or so (can't remember exact price).
Merlot and Cab Sav from Suisun Valley now is $50 and $59 respectively....:d

Their Central Valley Merlot and Cab Sav is $40 and $35 respectively where from Lodi is a $1 cheaper each.

Did you guys have your mind set on which varietal you'll be making?
I have no clue yet, never made Pinot Noir but not too attractive for me right now.
Wondering if Merlot and Grenache may be a good blend or not at all.

I think I'm going to stick with my original thought of Cab/Syrah/Petite Sirah. I haven't heard back from Harford (will try again tomorrow). But based on the schedule that M&M put out, it seems like those three varietals will be 'around' the same time.

Harford was awesome with the Chilean harvest last year. I ordered Cab, Syrah and Merlot, but the Syrah came in late. They let me switch the Syrah for more Merlot. They are really nice folks and it is worth it driving up there for me (once per harvest).

I ended up ordering:
6g California Chardonnay juice
6g California Viognier juice
6g California Zinfandel juice + 1 lug OVZ grapes
6g Italian Nebbiolo juice + 1 lug Central Valley grapes
6g Italian Barbera juice + 1 lug Central Valley grapes
2 lugs Maryland Traminette grapes

Very exciting!! Based on the email I received on harvest, things will be here mid-September.

VP41 has arrived, just waiting on my fruit and juice.

Heather

Cab/Syrah/Petite Sirah....hmmm
Never made that blend, as a matter of fact not sure I ever tasted a Syrah or Petite Sirah.

Can you describe that blend if you made it before?
I'm interested and maybe will get 1 lug of each for a small batch.

Cab/Syrah/Petite Sirah....hmmm
Never made that blend, as a matter of fact not sure I ever tasted a Syrah or Petite Sirah.

Can you describe that blend if you made it before?
I'm interested and maybe will get 1 lug of each for a small batch.

The Syrah (Shiraz) will bring jammy fruit and a little spice, along with medium-full body (I'm still only 95% on using it - could go with Merlot as well). Petite Syrah will bring strong tannin, really dark color and body. It's a big, bold, dark wine. Not sure what the final blend will be, but I'm going to do 3 lugs each of the Cab and Syrah (or Merlot), and 2 lugs of the Petite Sirah. I'll definitely have some single varietal bottling of each as well. Or maybe two different blends. Who knows - it's a long way off. ;)

I ended up ordering:
6g California Chardonnay juice
6g California Viognier juice
6g California Zinfandel juice + 1 lug OVZ grapes
6g Italian Nebbiolo juice + 1 lug Central Valley grapes
6g Italian Barbera juice + 1 lug Central Valley grapes
2 lugs Maryland Traminette grapes

Very exciting!! Based on the email I received on harvest, things will be here mid-September.

VP41 has arrived, just waiting on my fruit and juice.

Heather

Heather:

Are you pressing the Traminette yourself? I'm really interested in giving Traminette a shot - really enjoy Harford's. I've actually asked if they could get local juice buckets. :D Would love if they could crush and press.

OK, my grape order went in over the weekend, and I just got my supplies ordered from MoreWine. VP41, Opti-Malo, MLB nutrient, and all the other goodies on the way.

I went with grapes from Lanza Vineyards in Suisun Valley. 3 lugs of Cabernet Sauvignon, 3 lugs of Syrah, and 2 lugs of Petite Sirah. Should end up with 15+ gallons of finished wine, when all is said and done and the angels take their share. I'm going to use BM4X4 on the Cab, RP15 on the Syrah, and D254 on the Petite Sirah. Looking forward to having a blending party a year from now. :db

Got my order in today..

Doing....

Merlot
Petit Syrah
Super Cab
Chardonnay
Reserve (blend of merlot, cabernet, and Petit Syrah)

With the exception of the reserve (a barrel aged blend) all of my other wines will be true varietals and not blended with any other grape.

Getting close now!!! spending the next several weekends simply getting ready!!

Got my order in today..

Doing....

Merlot
Petit Syrah
Super Cab
Chardonnay
Reserve (blend of merlot, cabernet, and Petit Syrah)

With the exception of the reserve (a barrel aged blend) all of my other wines will be true varietals and not blended with any other grape.

Getting close now!!! spending the next several weekends simply getting ready!!

Are you barrel aging only the Reserve?

Latest posts

Back