How much money is your wine worth?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
In other words, if you were to buy an equivalent bottle of wine at the liqueur store, how much would they charge?

My wine is worth exactly $0 since it is illegal to sell.

If it WAS legal to sell, then I have well over 1 million (adjusting for the price of quality).

(I'm not TOO arrogant, am I)

I've been told that one of my wines was equivalent to a $12 bottle of commercial wine, but that was just one guy who sampled the batch I made for my wife's sister's wedding. But I'd hate to put a price tag on my bottles since it's a labor of love.

tough question, i've made good fruit wines that would compare to local wineries at$15 a bottle. my grape wines probably about $3-$11 per bottle. i've only been doing this for 18 months tho. i' ve tasted other homemade wine that was way better than mine. i have some reds aging that will compare to godd $20 bottles i hope. whatever the value, i almost never buy wine anymore

If someone gave me a glass of my own wine (and I didn't know it was mine), and asked me, I would say it was probably a $9 - $10 bottle of wine. Not a great $9 - $10 bottle of wine, but an average $9 - $10 bottle of wine.

Having said that, if someone said that I could only drink one kind of wine for the rest of my life, I would absolutely pick my wine, even though I've tasted much better wines.

It is a tough question! I have had some commercial wines that cost $30 a bottle and some that were $10 and I liked the latter bottle alot better than the expensive one. With over 600 bottles in the cellar, It's kind of foolish for me to buy wine. That being said I still like to taste new wines and only buy if they knock me off my feet ( meaning VERY GOOD not high Alc ) LOL.

BOB

There have been times where I would go out and blow a lot of money on a "special occasion" wine. These were always expensive and were always varieties that I have made. Really, what I am doing is fining out "what is a good X"?

For example, If I am making a pinot noir, then I want to know "what does a great pinot taste like?". I would go out and find the best, most expensive pinot at the gourmet wine shoppe. I would then sit down and taste it. I even go so far as compare it to the one I made. Surprisingly, they are very simular.

If you guys did the same, I think you would be very SHOCKED at how close you can come, but I digress...

I say that my pinot compares to an $80.00 French equivelent. My Brunello compares to a $60.00 Italian equivelent. Not that it matters, just so long as I like it!

I also have some wines that were left to me by my father in law. This is a mid-sixties French first growth. I was thinking of finding a way to auction it off and treat the family to a cruise.

I visited 8 different winerys this September and sampled their Blueberry, Blackberry, Cherry/Chocolate, and Strawberry and felt that mine had a better taste for the most part. Theirs seamed to have an after taste like they used some artificial flavorings. I later found that 3 of them did in fact artifically enhance the flavor their wine. All 8 had the wines I sampled priced at around $20.00 to $24.00 per bottle. So using that price for mine and I have slightly over 350 bottles in my cellar that will equate to $7,700 average value. I give mine to Family and very special friends as gifts.

I still buy wine on occasion, because there are a few that I like but haven't been able to make yet and it adds to my bottle supply.

Having a wine party this holiday season when my son is home on leave from the Army and I will be buying some that I don't have in stock. Some people just prefer grape and I make mostly fruit wines. So I will be buying a few cases of different grape varieties.

There is a condition called "Cellar Pallet" in which you end up preferring the wine you make (no matter what the wine tastes like). The recomendation is that you try other wines (by other manufacturers) to keep your pallet working.

My Dad has me make him a Cru Select Brunello kit at least 1-2 each year. He likes the other wines I make, but says the Brunello is as good or better than the $50-60 Brunellos he has previously bought. By having me make it, he "saves" about $1,400 - the difference between the cost of the kit (yielding 24 bottles to him) and $60 x 24 bottles of commercial bottles.

There is a condition called "Cellar Pallet" in which you end up preferring the wine you make (no matter what the wine tastes like). The recomendation is that you try other wines (by other manufacturers) to keep your pallet working.

Interesting, JohnT. I never heard the term but I think I have contracted the condition. I am to the point that I cannot enjoy a glass of commercial wine. All I taste is chemicals and harshness. Now I should say that the wines I used to buy and now buy when we are out to dinner are probably in the $10-20 retail price range, which means in a restaurant they would be in the $20-40 range.

We are going out with friends tonight and I will try a bottle again and see if the condition is really an addiction.

John is absolutely right. Never stick to wine from one source. Go to different wineries and taste their wine or buy different bottles at the wine store. You will broaden your horizon and might decide to tweak your own wine. You might just come to the conclusion your wine is awesome compared to others.

What is your wine worth? What did you pay for the fruit compared to others and how available is it? How much time passed before bottling compared to other wines you made. These are all factors to figure in.

It'll be a cold day in He!! before I spend over $20 for a bottle of wine. I cannot believe I wouldn't find a less expensive wine I would like just as much. This would exclude specialty wines such as ice wine or ports.

I haven't been doing this very long at all, but I've had some tasters that said they'd buy a wine like mine in the store in a heartbeat, so that was nice of them to say. I have almost got a "cellar pallet" but I do get some foreign wines tasted at my neighbor's house. He is in a wine club and gets a case a month from all over the world. We taste his wines against mine. You can certainly tell that his 2 and 3 year old wines have a bit of an edge on mine but them the significant key points is that they are aged where mine aren't. My wife and I pulled out a bottle of our "favorite" that we drank regularly, and we couldn't drink a glass full. We've gotten spoiled by my "custom" wine.

I'll be honest, I still buy commercial wine some inexpensive some not so cheap. Most of the time I'll be drinking the commercial wine and think to myself my homemade wine is just as good. Only problem is I haven't been able to make enough for my own consumpsion. Hope to be at that stage this coming year.

I have 1,200 plus bottles in my cellar and still buy at least 50% of the wine we consume. The reason? I want to age my homemade wines longer. My goal is to be on a 5 year cycle. My celler when finished will house around 3,500 bottles which will easily give me a 5 year aging cycle. The question though is what is it worth? I prefer my wine to most commercial wines and I typically buy wine in the $10 to $20 range. For insurance purposes, I would probably value it at $10 -$15 each.

I have not bought a single bottle since i bottled my first 6 cases this past fall. I have bought a lot of wine in the past that I thought was terrible. Some of them I poured down the drain. At least with my wine, I have not poured any out. I don't give wine away because it is too hard to make and too expensive to give away. My wine is as good as most 7-10 dollar wines and a lot better than some.

Latest posts

Back