have i added too much water to the primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyaii

wannabe pro winemaker
Reaction score
the wine kit is a magnum pinot grigio.
the instructions say to top it up after the grape juice is added to 23 litres.
i topped it up to 25 litres to allow for loss of juice after racking a few times.
did i do wrong?:ft

Well, "wrong" is a strong term. Your wine will likely be a bit thinner/weaker than designed, but not exceedingly so. (It is about an 8% dilution.)

Try this experiment: take two glasses of wine, and add, say, 125 mL to each. Then have a friend add 10 mL to one of them (without your knowing which was which). Then taste each of them, and see if you can tell which was which.

Adjust the starting SG to 1.090 (or whatever your kits instructions indicate) and you should be good.

You would have done better to have followed the directions. Topping off is best done later and I personally would not top off a 23L batch with more than 500ML (.5L) of water. Many folks will not even top of with any water but rather a like or similar wine. Others will rack to a 5 gallon carboy and another vessel for the overage. Still others will "top off" by displacing the wine with sanitized glass marbles. Sometimes a combination of these techniques will be used.

i added about.05 % abv at the start as it was 1.080

sg was 1.085 after sugar was added

i just transferred it to the secondary plastic pet carboy of 5 litres european.

sg is now 1

i'd say it will be fine just a bit diluted as it was fermenting after the water addition

Latest posts

Back