Help, I added a liter too much water to my kit.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kross

Reaction score
I mistakenly added 1 liter too much water to my RJS Pinto Grigio kit. Can I put that juice and water in the frig and order another kit and mix the two when I get the new kit? I need suggestions. Thank you!

I mistakenly added 1 liter too much water to my RJS Pinto Grigio kit. Can I put that juice and water in the frig and order another kit and mix the two when I get the new kit? I need suggestions. Thank you!
That’s certainly an option but you won’t get that kit for several days at best.

Another option is to add frozen white grape concentrate if you can find it in your stores. Also you can add fruit juices, just read the labels to look for sorbate preservatives that might prevent the yeast from working as well as it could. Juices that are in the refrigerated section, i.e. fresh apple juice, should work as the reason they need to be refrigerated is they don’t contain preservatives.

Measure twice, cut once...
I think that’s the second time I’ve said that today.

I considered suggesting white raisins, but they might alter the body too much for a Pinot Grigio. That said, 1/4 or 1/2 lb white raisins would cover the extra water and add complexity.
I actually added more than 1 liter too much more like 4. I already order another kit. Can I just keep what I have mixed up and cold till the kit arrives? Or would it be better to freeze it?

I actually added more than 1 liter too much more like 4. I already order another kit. Can I just keep what I have mixed up and cold till the kit arrives? Or would it be better to freeze it?
Grape juice wants to ferment. If it was fresh juice, there's be pretty much zero chance it would not start fermenting regardless of how cold you kept it. Being a kit it might not ferment, but if it does, it will be from whatever is in the air. If you can freeze it, that will work best. How long before the new kit arrives?

If you mix with another kit, short the water 4 liters, so the end result will be a 46 liter batch.

Grape juice wants to ferment. If it was fresh juice, there's be pretty much zero chance it would not start fermenting regardless of how cold you kept it. Being a kit it might not ferment, but if it does, it will be from whatever is in the air. If you can freeze it, that will work best. How long before the new kit arrives?

If you mix with another kit, short the water 4 liters, so the end result will be a 46 liter batch.
I ordered the kit today so im thinking 5 days before it gets here. I can either keep it at around 40 degrees for the five days or freeze it.

my suggestion is once you rack out of the fermenter, mark it
all my fermenters have lines put on in permanent marker on the outside for certain measurements, ok I use Speidel fermenters. But I did the same thing when I used buckets. I do not even want to admit how many times I put in to much water. Usually I just added sugar to get to target SG and soon got over it.

my suggestion is once you rack out of the fermenter, mark it
all my fermenters have lines put on in permanent marker on the outside for certain measurements, ok I use Speidel fermenters. But I did the same thing when I used buckets. I do not even want to admit how many times I put in to much water. Usually I just added sugar to get to target SG and soon got over it.
Yes, that’s exactly what I did. I marked all my fermenters with permanent markers. I’m not making this mistake again. I ended up ordering the same kit again and put the two kits together. Thanks

Latest posts

Back