Got my first one bottled !!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winofarmer

Confused Rookie
Reaction score
Got my first batch bottled today it was just a Welchs Concord/Niagara concentrate.I have 11 more gallons of experiments in carboys before I try some serious wine making!!!

IMG_3744.jpg

Looks great, Lon. Super color! Is that date on the bottle correct? 10/2010? Has it been bulk aging that long?

Dang wrong label thought I threw that page of lables away,it's only been aging 3 months...

What recipe did you use?

Welch's Grape Juice Wine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wine yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
Original Gravity: 1.095
Final Gravity: .996
Boiling Time (Minutes): 0.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Additional Fermentation: Rack until clear
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Edit- note! You may want to skip the acid blend, at least at first, as some results say this wine is too "tart".

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

1 can concord 1can niagara
skipped the acid blend
EC-1118 Yeast
starting SG 1.070
finished @.990
topped up with concord concentrate
stablized and back sweetend to 1.010 with niagara concentrate
bottled in 9 weeks

Being new to wine making I did a 1 gallon batch to see how it would turn out,it has a great taste with a kick to it and didn't last long I now have 10 gallons ageing!!!

Last edited:
I'm wanting to make a niagara/concord. I was wondering if you went 50/50. I'll probably go lighter on the concord. I want more of a blush. I've made the niagara and it is great. Thanks for the info.

I've made a Niagra/Concord blend before to make a kind of rosé or blush. It took very little Concord to change the color and flavor of the wine. I think I used less than 1 quart Concord to 3 quarts Niagra. Only suggestion I can make is to experiment until you get the color & flavor you're looking for.

I was thinking 1/6 concord. 10 cans niagara, 2 cans concord, top up to 6.25 gallons, sugar to 1.095, premier cuvee yeast.

Back