Fly in the Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyP

Reaction score
My RJS Super Tuscan had been in the carboy for 3+ months and I decided to rack it. After meticulously cleaning and sanitizing my already clean equipment, I racked to a second carboy only to see a dead fruit fly and some wings floating on top. I tried scooping them out but failed and the little buggers dropped into the wine. For a day I've been waiting but the fly must have become waterlogged.

My thought is to re-rack, using a cheesecloth mesh over the auot-siphon. Here's my questions:

1. Does anyone think it is not necessary to rack the fruit fly? (There may be other things that got in as well.)

2. I am concerned that filtering (even in a minor way) this early in the process will have a detrimental impact. Is there another alternative that works better?

3. I don't test ph or SO2 and added 1/4 tsp k-meta when I siphoned. Should I add more k-meta if I rack again - perhaps 1/8 tsp? My plan is to bottle in May.

By the way, the wine looked and tasted wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

Tony P.

Last edited:
See questions/comments in body of your posting.

My RJS Super Tuscan had been in the carboy for 3+ months and I decided to rack it. After meticulously cleaning and sanitizing my already clean equipment, I racked to a second carboy only to see a dead fruit fly and some wings floating on top. I tried scooping them out but failed and the little buggers dropped into the wine. For a day I've been waiting but the fly must have become waterlogged.

My thought is to re-rack, using a cheesecloth mesh over the auot-siphon. Here's my questions:

1. Does anyone think it is not necessary to rack the fruit fly? (There may be other things that got in as well.) I would not worry about one fruit fly. I would ask though, what "other things" could be in the wine? When we made wine at home years ago, it was common to get fruit flies in the wine. When we went from barrel to 1 gallon jugs, we set a fine mesh strainer in the funnel on top of the gallon and it caught any debris. We used to joke that it did not affect the wine, but we could not drink it on Frday!

2. I am concerned that filtering (even in a minor way) this early in the process will have a detrimental impact. Is there another alternative that works better? I don't think filtering at this point would harm the wine.

3. I don't test ph or SO2 and added 1/4 tsp k-meta when I siphoned. Should I add more k-meta if I rack again - perhaps 1/8 tsp? My plan is to bottle in May. Adding an eight teaspoon every 3 or 4 months of bulk aging is what I do.

By the way, the wine looked and tasted wonderful. And, it will have a trace amount of protein!

Thanks in advance.

Tony P.

We used to joke that it did not affect the wine, but we could not drink it on Friday!

I nearly spit my coffee on the keyboard when I read that....LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

Where do you think the idea of a wine having body came from??????????? What you refer to as other matter in the wine is referred to as MOG- material other than grapes.
One fly will not ruin your wine if you keep the sulfite levels where they should be.

guess it gives a whole new meaning to "wine thief"....lol..but then again, how much could he really drink???...:)

I did agree. I think the wine will be so bad, that you should chalk it up as a total lose and send it to me... I'll dispose of it for you!!!

Just kidding!!! I agree with the others. One fruit fly is not a real problem. It is nearly impossible to keep those critters out completely, at least in some parts of the country.

"hmmm....i've heard of a wine being described as 'chewy' before, but this takes it to a whole new level"....lol....

I had a friend of mine return a bottle of white wine to me because it contained a hair. You could see it floating around in there. I laughed, and told him it was likely from our 22 lbs cat, Duke. Then I explained that this was just the first cat hair he had seen. :)

I guess he just didn't want his wine tasting like puss...I mean kitty cat. :hug

I had a friend of mine return a bottle of white wine to me because it contained a hair. You could see it floating around in there. I laughed, and told him it was likely from our 22 lbs cat, Duke. Then I explained that this was just the first cat hair he had seen. :)

oh c'mon now.....where's his sense of adventure???...lol....besides, with all the cleaning of themselves that cats do, it couldn't have been that bad....roflmao...:)

If I ever start I winery, I will name it Hair of the Dog and put a Rottweiler on the label...for this very reason...ROTFLMAO!!! I plan to filter as I bottle to remove the evidence of Caterpillar and Dozer having participated in fermentation.

_MG_0423.jpg

rezod11

At our house dog hair is a condiment!

PS. I love your rottenweillers << that is what we called the 2 we had because they were spoiled rotten

Sadly they both developed cancer and no longer with us.

Last edited:
rezod11

At our house dog hair is a condiment!

PS. I love your rottenweillers << that is what we called the 2 we had because they were spoiled rotten

Sadly they both developed cancer and no longer with us.

A meal without dog hair is not possible in our house either...and often a meal out, since it sticks to everything.

We also call ours spoiled "rottenweilers". They are the best. SO sorry to hear of your loss:( My rotts are my babies.

Latest posts

Back