First stage...f pack already added

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pightr

Reaction score
Just got my wine kit and was so excited we already added the F-pack to the wine juice and water before fermentation. Can I still try and ferment this and make it into wine or did I just waste all of the grape juice and need to start fresh? NEED Help PLEASE!!!

Last edited:
Yes you can still ferment it, however it will be a very different tasting wine from the origional intent of the kit.

Can you tell us the SG?

Also do not panic It is possible to make a F-Pak but we will need more info.

Thanks for responding so quickly. The SG is 1.083. I'm going to try it out anyway just so its not a complete waste of money and maybe it will be drinkable. Will I need another f-pack after i have already added it? Also the wine I'm "attempting" to make is a white zinfandel from the vintners reserve. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you

It will be fine, just a little drier than intended by maufactorer. I would probably make it that way by choice if I had bought that kit.It will also be a little stronger as well but not to bad. Its a white, you will be drinking it in a month( yes I know it isnt really a white)

Last edited:
The process of making an F-Pak usually involves using frozen concentrate juice and boiling away a portion of the water. I'm not just sure what juice to use perhaps Wade or Tom will chime in tomorow. At any rate you have a while before you will need it.

The SG is about right so for now relax, we've all made mistakes. Im sure you will end up with a drinkable and unique wine and will have learned somthing along the way.

I know that Wade and Tom are going to ask so please post the brand of the kit.

By the way Welcome to Wine Making Talk.

:gn

Thanks again for the info and the reassurance! I really appreciate it. If anyone else has any other advice or feed back please let me know.

Thanks again for the info and the reassurance! I really appreciate it. If anyone else has any other advice or feed back please let me know.
The important question is...do you like your white zins dry or off-dry?

If dry, you did the right thing. If off-dry, you'll have to sweeten the wine later (after the K-meta and sorbate have been added).

Regardless, this is not the time to panic. The wine will still ferment, although perhaps a touch slower than normal (because of sorbate in the F-pack).

Steve

The important question is...do you like your white zins dry or off-dry?

If dry, you did the right thing. If off-dry, you'll have to sweeten the wine later (after the K-meta and sorbate have been added).

Regardless, this is not the time to panic. The wine will still ferment, although perhaps a touch slower than normal (because of sorbate in the F-pack).

Steve

To be honest not to sure yet haha still up in the air about it but I will let you know after this batch. I've had both and enjoyed both but not sure which I am more partial to. Thanks again for the feedback

If you want and you have the equipment to do so, you can do half of your wine dry and half a little sweeter so you can compare.

If you want and you have the equipment to do so, you can do half of your wine dry and half a little sweeter so you can compare.

I have another 5 gallon carboy to spare but wont that be to much air in each carboy for the wine to age properly?

This wine is intended to be sweet.
The F pack likely was only a sweetener, with maybe some sorbate.

If it had a lot of sorbate in the F pack, the fermentation will likely start off very slowly, if at all. I guess the question is - is there a separate packet of sorbate that came with the kit?

If a separate packet, add it when instruction say to add it; after that, you likely will only have to sweeten the wine to taste.

If no separate packet of sorbate, you will have to get some sorbate to add for stabilizing. Add the sorbate, then sweeten to taste.

Once all these questons are answered and you make necessary adjustments, your wine will likely be just fine, so NO PANIC! All of us have had similar issues in our wine making.

I have another 5 gallon carboy to spare but wont that be to much air in each carboy for the wine to age properly?

Sweetening is one of the last things you do before bottling, so you can make the wine, then age it in one container. Before bottling, you can sweeten all or part of it.

But yes, you should keep container(s) fully topped off until wine is bottled. Get yourself a few 3 gallon carboys, if you like.

I worry less about air space if you fill the space with CO2. I use the tank from my Keg-o-lator and fill the space . CO2 is heavier than O2 and will displace any oxygen in the bottle.I sometimes just do a little degassing and that will also fill the space. Ya I know you are shacking your head, but physics wins.Air space is only a problem when it is filled with O2

This wine is intended to be sweet.
The F pack likely was only a sweetener, with maybe some sorbate.

If it had a lot of sorbate in the F pack, the fermentation will likely start off very slowly, if at all. I guess the question is - is there a separate packet of sorbate that came with the kit?

If a separate packet, add it when instruction say to add it; after that, you likely will only have to sweeten the wine to taste.

If no separate packet of sorbate, you will have to get some sorbate to add for stabilizing. Add the sorbate, then sweeten to taste.

Once all these questons are answered and you make necessary adjustments, your wine will likely be just fine, so NO PANIC! All of us have had similar issues in our wine making.

There is another pack of Potassium Sorbate to add later on so I will add this when it is time. What would I need to sweeten the wine with before bottling???

The typical sweetener is common table sugar. Add to taste; let it set for about 24 hours, then taste it again; make any adjustments.

Just remember that you can add sweetener, but removing it is another issue.

Enjoy!!!

Thank you again to all of you for the useful help and feedback I really appreciate it. Can't wait for it to turn out and see how it tastes.

You are fine and actually with only a 1.083 starting sg you are about perfect IMO unless you didnt stir enough as that wine would have been a little low on abv without adding that little extra. If you want it sweeter later then youll just want to make a simple syrup which consists of 1 cup of boiling water with 2 cups of sugar added to and then turn the heat off and make sure it dissolves well and then let it cool and add it to your wine slowly stopping when you have reached the desired sweetness and be careful not to over shoot. Also make sure to give your wine a few days after adding the sulfite and sorbate to make sure its worked in before sweetening and then about a week at 75* to make sure it doesnt start to referment as it can sometimes happen.

Day 5

Just checked the SG and it was reading 1.040. Not sure if this is a normal reading at this stage but now just time to wait it out until it gets to 1.010 or lower to rack it. Thanks again to everyone for the help and I will keep you posted of the status.

Day 6

Sg reading at 1.030 few more days till i get to rack it!! I can't wait!

Latest posts

Back