RJ Spagnols EP Amarone Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabeachbear

Reaction score
Was curious if anyone has ever put residual sugar in their Amarone. Mine is approaching two years old now, and tastes really good except for a just a bit of a bite on the finish.

The owner of the winery I volunteer at made a trip to Verona this year to visit Amarone producers and most of them said that they have residual sugar in their Amarone as they can"t keep the fermentation going until dry.

I put .025 in a half split (very small amount) but it did help the finish.

Just curious if anyone has tried it. I'm getting ready to bottle this years Amarone and was thinking I might try, even if a lower amount like .015 or so.

We are attempting an Amarone style this year at the Winery, we've dried enough grapes to do at least a barrels worth. I'm in NC and usually can't get the grapes above 19 brix or so before rot and birds kill them all. We got the grapes we straw mat dried up to 24.5 brix so it should be interesting.

Last edited:
Just looking for a clarification:

Is that supposed to read "they CAN'T keep the fermentation going until dry." ?

BTW, if so, you can edit your original post and I will delete this one.

Yes, it was supposed to say can't, and I did edit thanks for the catch.

The winemakers in Verona said they can't because sometimes the sugar is getting too high from the drying.

Amarone

AMARONE, should have no residual sugars in it, it should have enough sweetness at primary fermentation to go dry at that point with a secondary fermentation of raisins(or dried grapes)as they say , that are added to produce a reactive fermentation that the alcohol extracts from the raisins sugars which once again becomes alcohol and the assents that is extract fulfills it's responsibility with a deep dense taste, that is
WOOD, in the form of casks, time and temp. provides the balance and around the five year mark a descent AMARONE emerges. :try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try:try

Last edited:
Traditionally, Amarone was completely dry (versus Recioto, which has a discernable sweetness), but that clear distinction has been lost in more recent times. DOCG appellation rules do allow for residual sugar depending on alcohol level and acidity.

This is a bit off topic. But I would like recommendations for the "best" amarone kit. There are so many out there on the market. I am more concerned about quality than price. Thanks.

I absolutely LOVE the Showcase Amarone and you will not be disappointed. However, I have an En Primeur Amarone clearing now based on the frequent recommendations of people on this site. I will let you know in about 2 years or so.

The Mosti Meglioli is 23 ltr of Italian juice and comes with wet grape pack and dried raisins. I have made it three times and been extremely pleased with the taste. It does take minimumof two years in bottle and does not get crystal clear. It is a limited quantity kit but comes out every year. With all that said I have also done the CC Showcase and been very pleased earlier than the MMeg. And no doubt I will do the RJS EP Amarone soon.

Latest posts

Back