Dry wine making kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windseafire

Junior
Reaction score
I am from England living in the US and like the very dry Bordeux style French wines. Does anyone know of a suitable wine kit to make this kind of wine?

You will be pleasantly surprised by the FWK Bordeux then. Just remember, these kits are all California grapes, so they may not have the same flavor profile as the grapes from France.

I see you are in Cali, as you get more comfortable with wine making you are in a great area for picking up fresh fruit of your choice.

You will be pleasantly surprised by the FWK Bordeux then. Just remember, these kits are all California grapes, so they may not have the same flavor profile as the grapes from France.

I see you are in Cali, as you get more comfortable with wine making you are in a great area for picking up fresh fruit of your choice.
Thanks, I will give the FWK Bordeaux a try.

Thanks for the welcome. I have made about 30 batches of fruit wine over the years and a couple of kit wines. Problem with the kit wines is they have all been way too sweet for me.
Odd, I've never had a kit wine turn out sweet; nearly all kits that I've made vinify out to .994 or less SG. My most recent FWK Bordeaux finished at .994. I made a Brunello last year that finished at .992, very jammy wine, not as tannic as I'd expected.

Odd, I've never had a kit wine turn out sweet; nearly all kits that I've made vinify out to .994 or less SG. My most recent FWK Bordeaux finished at .994. I made a Brunello last year that finished at .992, very jammy wine, not as tannic as I'd expected.
I think it is partly a matter of taste. When I think of dry I mean mouth sucking dry. It is also likely that by following the instructions I also stopped the fermentaion. This time round I am not going to stop the fermentation at all and see how dry it will ferment out to.

I think it is partly a matter of taste. When I think of dry I mean mouth sucking dry. It is also likely that by following the instructions I also stopped the fermentaion. This time round I am not going to stop the fermentation at all and see how dry it will ferment out to.
I would toss out the kit schedule and let your hydrometer tell you when it’s done.

Welcome to WMT!

Make sure you get the Forte version of the FWK Bordeaux, and consider extended maceration with the skin packs. That should get you closer to the tannin level you are describing.
When you say “extended maceration”, how many weeks are you talking about. The most I’ve done was three weeks because I get a little skiddish when I can’t see what’s happening under the cover. Are my worries not warranted?

Latest posts

Back