Lost instructions RJS rosso grande kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huba Huba

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year I purchased an RJS En Primeur Rosso Grande Excellent kit and evidently I lost the instructions. I have made enough kits that I can mostly wing it or use FWK instructions but the kit comes with 60 gr American med chips and 60 gr of French heavy toast powder. Generic instructions say
"Oak powder and/or chips - open bag(s) and add now. Stir vigorously."
I am not worried about to much during fermentation but shouldn't one be for post fermentation. Does this seem right? Wouldn't this benefit from oak post fermentation, was it just not included with the kit?

Chips and powder are always added at the primary stage. I haven't ever made this particular kit, but I would think it could benefit from some oak during aging. 2 or 3 ounces of medium or medium+ toast for 6 to 8 weeks, maybe longer. But then I always think time lines on kits are far too short.

Thanks. Are type/toast of oak that important in the primary? I didn’t think much flavor was added and the purpose was entirely sacrificial to preserve the wine tannins
I typically use medium or medium+ oak. I've tried light oak and didn't get anything from it. Heavy toast can introduce a smoky flavor, so I haven't used it in a long time.

Be cautious of oak use -- it's very possible to over-oak a wine, and although some claim it mellows with age, I've had wine that did NOT mellow. I use 1 to 1-1/2 oz per 19-23 liters of red wine, depending on the wine. The heavier the wine, the more oak it can handle.

Note that I like oak as a seasoning, not a flavoring, so I use less than some folks. Also note that it's a LOT easier to add more than to take some out. Add some oak, let it rest 3 months, then taste test. If it's not what you want, you can add more.

@winemaker81 are you talking about oak in the primary or only post fermentation?
Post-fermentation, e.g., bulk aging.

For fermentation oak, I use 2 to 3 cups shredded, toasted oak in 23 liters.

Keep in mind that fermentation oak in the wine for a very short period. Aging oak is a different story.

Latest posts

Back