Do I need to change my Acid level?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2tazmania

Reaction score
Starting my last batch of Muscadines from last year. This batch is Nobles. I ordered a PH meter and titration kit to try to get a little more detail this go round. My PH is 2.64 and my acid level is .55. Do I need to add more acid or is this ok? First time checking the PH and acid on my must. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am not an expert, but from what little I know, that does seem low.
Sorry I can't help you more, but hopefully this bump will prompt a more detailed answer.

n2tazmania said:
Starting my last batch of Muscadines from last year. This batch is Nobles. I ordered a PH meter and titration kit to try to get a little more detail this go round. My PH is 2.64 and my acid level is .55. Do I need to add more acid or is this ok? First time checking the PH and acid on my must. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you rechecked your numbers? What is your testing method?

The numbers don't coincide. With a pH that low, I would have expected more acid.

I used a PH meter that I calibrated with 7.01 and 4.01 solution to check the PH. For the acid, I took 15cc of juice then took 10cc of .2N sodium Hydroxide. Put the PH meter in the juice and started adding the sodium Hydroxide. It took 5.5 cc to raise the PH meter to 8.2.

Looks pretty darn perfect to me. I guess it would really depend on if you were going to do an MLF on it. Very good numbers really IMHO.

for some reason Muscadine and particularly Noble seems to come up with some wacky numbers, the ph and acid don't want to cooperate with each other. Bring the acid up to .65% and you should be ok.

So how much acid blend do I need to add to raise 5 gal by .10%? I also have a 3 gal batch.

1 tsp will increase acid by .15% per gallon.

I have to ask...the pH seems very low...will this increase with fermentation?

I decided to go back and check my measurements again. Today I am getting a PH of 3.37 and a TA of .68%. I did the check twice this time to make sure. So, who knows which is right. I went ahead a few moments ago and pitch my Cote des Blancs to it. We will see how it turns out. I plan to use 3 oz of medium French Oak on this batch just to see how it turns out. Thanks to everyone for you inputs.

Good luck and I think you are going to be real happy with the oak addition.

I would not use acid blend, myself; I would use straight tartartic acid.

Stressbaby,
pH (and TA of course) will change some during alcoholic fermentation. They will also change during MLF.

Latest posts

Back