Help with cold soak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotundifolia

Junior
Reaction score
My husband got into beer making so I have access to a glycol chiller. I should be able to cold soak at 40 degrees and I purchased Gaia which should help protect from unwanted strains. I hope to chill for a week but will depend upon grape timing for second batch of grapes and my guts to keep it going.

1) Should I get dry ice to drop the temperate down at first or is the gylcol chiller enough? I do have an argon tank to cover so the CO2 benefit is mute.

2)I I use a brute trash can to ferment and the chiller hangs over the edge of the trash can. I can try to seal up with press & seal wrap and perhaps painters tape from chiller to plastic wrap to try to make it as air tight as possible. I am wondering if anyone in this forum has a similar set up and can offer some advice.

3) I know that the commercial wineries do stir up the must to keep and even temperature. Does anyone do this at home? Or is it better just to keep it sealed off unless there is a bigger difference between temp at top of brute vs bottom. I am thinking if this happens, then perhaps dry ice may be needed or bail on the cold soak. Appreciate any advice?

4) I know that tactic acid can fall out with cold soak, so wondering about timing of yeast pitch and ph testing & additions. Should I wait till I start to warm up the brute?

5) Any other advice or words of wisdom is much appreciated.

My husband got into beer making so I have access to a glycol chiller. I should be able to cold soak at 40 degrees and I purchased Gaia which should help protect from unwanted strains. I hope to chill for a week but will depend upon grape timing for second batch of grapes and my guts to keep it going.

1) Should I get dry ice to drop the temperate down at first or is the gylcol chiller enough? I do have an argon tank to cover so the CO2 benefit is mute.

2)I I use a brute trash can to ferment and the chiller hangs over the edge of the trash can. I can try to seal up with press & seal wrap and perhaps painters tape from chiller to plastic wrap to try to make it as air tight as possible. I am wondering if anyone in this forum has a similar set up and can offer some advice.

3) I know that the commercial wineries do stir up the must to keep and even temperature. Does anyone do this at home? Or is it better just to keep it sealed off unless there is a bigger difference between temp at top of brute vs bottom. I am thinking if this happens, then perhaps dry ice may be needed or bail on the cold soak. Appreciate any advice?

4) I know that tactic acid can fall out with cold soak, so wondering about timing of yeast pitch and ph testing & additions. Should I wait till I start to warm up the brute?

5) Any other advice or words of wisdom is much appreciated.
I almost got a glycol chiller thinking of this application. But the guy became unresponsive on Marketplace.

I would expect that you are adding k-metabisulfite? I would imagine the chiller would cool it down overnight. Especially if the vessel is insulated or wrapped in a blanket. If your using a brute I’d put some hard foam underneath and wrap with an old blanket to keep the temperature gradient to a minimum.

You probably could just wrap the plastic around tightly. It shouldn’t need to be absolutely air tight. Just bug tight.

I’d push it down to keep them moist and distribute the cooling.

My grapes came from a cooler so I risked a couple days with a few bags of ice. I might do dry ice not sure. It’s sure a nice fruity wine.

I’d check the acid and adjust just before adding the yeast. You probably could check it to start as well. It would allow some time to stabilize. You probably could pitch the yeast before it warms up too. The cool ferment might give some nice flavors.

Latest posts

Back